Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,594 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,594 OstoMates.

New Ostomate

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey everyone 🙋‍♀️ So I’ll be five weeks post-op on Tuesday from an Ileostomy and even though I thought I was getting the hang of measuring & changing my bag (I’m a perfectionist where I actually lose sleep over things 😩) my confidence has just been knocked as I changed my bag a few days ago and my skin is quite irritated and red.  I change my bag every two days, if everything feels fine &  theres no itching or stinging, but when I’m measuringg my stoma I just can’t get it right whatsoever.  I use a measuring guide but theres either a gap at the top or a gap at the  of my stoma and I assume this is the cause of the irritation.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Some questions for you:  are you having trouble changing your bag or Your wafer?  If there is a space between your stoma and the wafer, you can experiment with Eakin seals around the stoma to block output from burning your skin.  Also, there are powders and creams available to help heal the soreness.  Contact your ostomy  nurse, if you have one, or the nurse at the company who makes your wafer for suggestions.  Be sure to use adhesive remover wipes when removing your wafer to keep from damaging your skin from so many changes.  Clean the skin with a mild aloe soap like Convatec makes or cleansing cloth that Coloplast makes.  Then use a protective barrier wipe swabbing the entire wafer area—AllKare is a good one.  Then I use an antifungal powder to prevent yeast from forming.  Then I take another protective wipe and pat down the entire area,  I remove the backing from the wafer and apply Skin Tac around the edge of the wafer.  Then I use a hair dryer. to warm my skin and the back of the wafer for a few seconds and then I apply the wafer to my skin in front of a mirror to try and be sure that it is positioned properly.  Then I hold the wafer to my skin for several minutes to be sure it is adhering and there are no gaps.  

Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:46 pm

If there are still gaps, give it another shot with the hair dryer and keep holding.  Things you might try are using an ostomy belt or underwear with a pocket to keep gravity from putt too much pressure on the wafer.  Try not to let your bag to get too full before emptying as a full bag exerts a lot of pull on the wafer.  Carry pink tape and scissors with you for a surprise leak. 

I have a urostomy, so our output is different, but the wafer problems are much the same.  I can go an entire week before needing a change of wafer by following the above regimen.Hope some of this will help.

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi Gracie! Thank you so much for your reply! Some of the products you named can’t be bought over here in Ireland but my routine the last few weeks has been taking my old bag off, I use pure water wipes and give my stoma a clean, use some paper towels to dry, measure my stoma as best I can, I use some Hollister Stoma Powder, wipe off the excess then put a Hollister barrier ring on my wafer of my bag and stick the whole bag on together... Its more gettig the right position and making sure no skin is showing, thats my real problem 😩 

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 pm

mjc, there is little i can add to the excellent replies you have recieved.....i might suggest that you ask for samples of other brand products, not all of them are compounded from the same material and some work better on different skin types than others. in my experience i had to try 3 different brand wafers before i found one the worked the best. the same goes for the skin prep`s i tried one popular brand {cavilon} that simply would not work for me. you might also try putting the barrier ring directly on your skin and gently squishing it to a very close fit to the stoma shape, the wafer it`s self can be a little looser fit if you form the ring close. good luck, you will master things given a little time and patience.....just like the rest of us have. regards mmsh

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:54 pm
Hi! I do suffer with the same problem as my skin can be irritated and red around my stoma. I do use a special type of powder that I apply to the irritated skin around my stoma. The powder I use is from Coloplast and seems to work for me. I may need to apply it once every two weeks depending on how irritated my skin is. It would be wise however to ask a stoma nurse or dermatologist to prescribe what powder best suits you just to be safe Smile
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:01 pm

From the sounds of it you need to find  good barrier spray or barrier wipe and really crust it on the skin. Most stomas are not perfectly round, so what I do is I cut slightly bigger and I mean slighty, and fit my whole stoma into the wafer hole. I change my bag Monday and Thursday and if needed I can typically last up to 5 days or so without changing. If you don't wet the stoma powder sightly the bag will not stick well to the skin. The less you change the bag the better, because less chance of ripping off and irritating the skin around. I don't even use stoma powder with every bag change because there is no need for it really. I use an adhesive remover, damp napkin or tissue, skin barrier wipe or spray, adhesive spray, put the barrier ring on, put the bag on, then colopast barrier strips aroudn the edges of my bags wafer

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 am

Hi David 😊 thanks so much for your reply 😊 i use the Hollister stoma powder which I find very good for my skin...I always had sensitive skin so i think my skin just needs to adaptto the adhesive on the bag....it just ets frustrating after a while when your skin is so irritated that you dont want to put a bag on and just go without 😊😩

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 am
Hi Maddie! Thank you so much for your reply 😊 I have my stoma nurse coming up to me this week so Im going to ask her about a barrier spray because I think it would really benefit me! Hopefully it will work....It can be so annoying when your skin just feels irritated all the time 😩 x
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi MJC

I too am 5 weeks post surgery and also now experiencing very sore skin around stoma. It feels like a burning stinging sensation and like it is coming from the actual stoma .

Just wondering how you are doing energy wise and when do you think you will be back to where you were before the surgery?

Also is your ileostomy permanent and did you need to have a pan-proctocolectomy?

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi Fi 😊

So great to hear from you! Hope your doing well! 😊I completely understanf where your coming from with your skin complaints....its so sore and even when you move it hurts even more 😩 I had been really sick since March 2017 so i actually can’t remember what I was like before al this but I’m doing a whole lot better than I was! Hopefully I will have my stoma for a year amd then have it reversed but then I need more surgery...but if it keeps me going I have no problems 😂🙋‍♀️ X

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:56 am

Hi MJC

Thanks so much for your reply 😀

I’m delighted you can have your Stoma reversed in a year. 

Unfortunately no going back for me so I’d better become good friends with it I suppose ! 

Hope things settle down for you soon. X

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Fi, well hopefully thats the plan but things could change...depends on how well I’m getting on 😊 It will take time to become use to it as I am in the same boat but I think if it gives you more freedom and keeps you healthy thats the main thing and the most important...I really hope everything goes well for you now and inthe future 😊 xx

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 am

i have had both a colostomy and now a illostomy my sugestion is that the stoma sticks out enough to prevent leakage through the wafer that you will be wearing when I had my collostomy done it was a nightmare but now with my illostomy it is much much beter no leackage. Now this is important make sure you get a parastoma ostomy belt to prevent a hernia this is nothing more then a stretchable breathable nylon belt with a opening for your stoma and bag to fit through.  your incision will be a little sore mostely when you are moving around or while riding in a car  nothing major it will get better in a short time.  I can relate to your fears on surgery  because in two weeks I will be going in  removal of my anus.... GOOD LUCK

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Hey Ozzi! thanks so much for your reply! I’ve started to get more comfortable now changing my bags and I’m not as hung up as i was with getting leaks...im going to invest in a belt because I have been hearing great things about them! I’m not as sore as I was...I’m still finding the certain ways I’m wearing clothes a bit uncomfortable so I have started to wear things certain ways but apart from that I an doing okay! really hope things are good for you in the future Ozzi 😊 Thank you again for reply x

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.