Hair Loss

Replies
Views
petunia

I have had an ileostomy for 12 years. I am on a very good plant-based multivitamin and also omegas. My thyroid levels have been checked and are okay for now. No need

to be on medications yet. I am losing hair on a daily basis. I know since I do not have a colon anymore, my vitamins are not being absorbed like they should.

What can be done for this? I am looking if someone else has that problem and what can be done to resolve it. It is dire need of an answer. Thank you

Bill

Hello petunia. My wife (does not have a stoma) has had the same problem in recent years and it has been very worrisome for her. She has tried all sorts of different 'remedies' and none of them had any discernable effect. The one consistent piece of information the 'professionals' give her is that the condition is age-related (she is 70+) and perfectly 'normal'. All her sisters had thinning hair at earlier ages so it might be hereditory. Interestingly, much more recently, she has reduced worrying about it and, coincidentally,  the process of hair-loss seems to have slowed to almost nothing.

I know this doesn't give you an instant answer to your problem but I hope it helps in some way.

Best wishes 

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,319 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Teri

Hi Petunia,

I've had my ileostomy since 2016, and just in the past few months, I have noticed a tremendous amount of hair I'm losing. It's to the point that I hate brushing my hair. My diet leaves something to be desired, but I'm on a good senior women's multivitamin. Recently, I ordered a few inexpensive wigs, just in case one day my hair looks too lost. Sorry I couldn't shed some light on the issue.

Best wishes

Teri