Seeking Advice: Partner's Ostomy affecting Intimacy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mertle Dove

I'm new to the forum and I'll start by saying that I don't have an ostomy myself, but my partner recently had an operation for rectal cancer (May 2018) and now has a (hopefully) temporary ileostomy.

His histology results came back good, so no chemo is required, and he's hoping to have the reversal sometime in the next few months depending on the results of the contrast x-ray.

He's recovering well from the operation, but the bag is a huge issue for him with regard to body image, and he's told me in no uncertain terms that he will not have sex, or even be intimate, with me until after he has the reversal. I've assured him that the bag is not a problem to me at all, and I don't find it off-putting in any way, but in his head, it's a huge problem and one he just can't get around. I ordered him a wrap in the hope that it might make him more confident, knowing that the bag is covered and secure. However, he explained that just knowing he has a bag of poo hanging from his stomach is sufficient to totally squash any kind of sexual feelings he might have.

We don't even hug anymore, as he's so conscious of the bag that he holds me away from him whenever I go to put my arms around him. I'm really missing the intimacy we used to have, and I can feel myself starting to withdraw from him as time goes on.

I really don't want this to adversely affect our relationship, but I feel so frustrated and depressed about the situation. I keep telling myself that four or five months isn't that long to wait (if everything goes to plan!), but it's going to feel like the longest few months of my life. I'm a very touchy/huggy person, and I feel like I can't even do that now. Holding hands and a quick peck on the lips is about all we do now.

If anyone has any advice they can give me or help me understand how he is feeling, just so I can get my head around it, I'd be most grateful.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

They mess up a lot of nerves down there. He may not be able to do anything even if he wanted to. Just something I put out there to consider. He may be blaming the bag when it is not the bag.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mertle Dove

Good point xnine, I was assuming he'd tell me if that were the case but maybe not. I guess I'll find out when the bag's gone.

dadnabbit

Mertle Dove, planning for the reversal is a positive attitude, but reality can change a relationship if the inability for a successful reversal is not considered. A successful reversal is dependent on so many things. Overall health, the reason for the original surgery, and unexpected complications can quickly shift the end result. It is always wise to respect the possibility that a reversal may not happen.

Acceptance is (I think) the most difficult part of ostomy surgeries. Not only do we have to come to terms with the reality that our body is no longer the body we have known and loved, but we also have a total head trip to learn to deal with as far as our image in the eyes of our loved ones. Every ostomate that I have spoken with encountered negative reactions from family members and personal friends when they discussed their surgery with these folks. Disguised as sympathy, a reaction of positivity only for the reversal can be a damning thing in a relationship. This doesn't mean that the feelings for the ostomate changed, or that their respect for the ostomate diminished, but rather that the lifelong stigma that has been associated with the "bag" is ingrained in our psyche whenever this situation has even been considered. Even most medical professionals don't have enough experience dealing with this type of surgery to offer anything valuable on the subject, but hopefully compassion is part of their own character so that they can help the ostomate with clarity about life with an ostomy. My own hospital team, surgeon, wound nurse, and dietician were worthless when it came to help both before and after the surgery. Mechanical at best, and not very forthcoming about the reality of the situation.

However, this site was invaluable helping me to come to terms with my new body and my new lifestyle. The information and support offered here were real, and very helpful in dealing with everyday life situations. Humans are a very judgmental species, and learning to change that attitude is a very important first step in the acceptance of an ostomy surgical outcome, and it begins with the patient. Wanting things to return to "normal" is to be expected, but should not be the "bar" that is set for success in order to continue to partake in and enjoy our lives. Hopefully, love is unconditional, and does not dissipate with changes in our lives such as our physical appearance, especially when they are due to medical issues. And the greatest love is standing strong and helping the ostomate to accept his life as it is, rather than as it might have been.

Peace

Bill

Thank you so much for sharing your feelings on this very personal subject and what wonderful replies you have recieved. Relationships can indeed be adversely affected by these sorts of conditions and maybe you both should consider some practical help in terms of personal counselling for the relationship side of things. 

Best wishes

Bill

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mertle Dove

Hi Dadnabbit, thank you for your amazing reply. I do totally agree with everything you've said, but at the end of the day it all comes down to how my partner feels about it, not how I feel about it. I can honestly say I've never reacted with negativity regarding his ileostomy and have tried to get him to see it, not as something disgusting (which he feels) but rather just as a different way of doing things. But then I don't have a stoma so I can't really understand fully why he feels the way he does.

He did try to explain his reasoning behind refusing to be intimate. Basically he can't cope with the thought that he's basically "pooing" all the time and has no control over it. So the thought of pooing during sex is totally offputting for him. None of my suggestions such as eating marshmallows beforehand to stop the output temporarily, or wearing a wrap, can convince him otherwise. His focus, even before the operation, has always been how soon can he have it reversed, and nothing I can do or say can change his viewpoint.

I guess all I'm really trying to find out is whether other ostomates have felt the same way and whether and how they managed the process of coming to terms with it. It's still early days as he's only just over four weeks post-surgery, so maybe other people felt this way initially and managed to overcome it?

It makes me sad that his attitude of "I won't come anywhere near you while I have this" is preventing us from getting back to normal. If I knew how to help him accept life as it is rather than how it was, I would be doing it, but I'm really struggling here to make any progress.

Mertle Dove

Bill, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately my partner is not the kind that would even consider counseling of any kind. I'd be more than willing, but he's more the type that has to work through things on his own. He's not much of a talker, which is why I'm on the forum and not him!

To be honest, I wouldn't normally discuss such a personal subject on a forum, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

dadnabbit

Mertle Dove,

I totally understand where your partner is coming from. The results of my unnecessary surgery (that's a whole drama on its own) have created for me a situation of being unable to trust any doctors. I won't even allow a doctor to touch me. Your husband's desire for the reversal surgery is very normal, but he should do a lot of research regarding the surgery, because quite often the results are less than stellar. The outcome is one of those with very variant results, and can end with a quality of life that is sorely lacking. Right now, being able to go about daily chores and life's needs may not seem to be all that, but if he were to be relegated to a bathroom life, with constant need for facilities, the quality of his life would alter drastically and having a "bag" might not seem as horrible as it does right now. Good luck with your support for him, it is integral for his recovery, and your willingness to research on his behalf is truly impressive and a big plus for him. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Peace

NJ Bain

Mertle Dove,

I have to chime in here so please forgive me for being blunt. 4 weeks post-op is also pretty early. And every ostomate is different when it comes to body image. I never had an issue with sex and having an ileostomy. But then again, I'm a confident guy.

Not to be negative but there's always the possibility that the reversal may be postponed or not happen at all. And your partner may have to come to terms with that. If he's capable.

And not for nothing, if I had a partner and they told me they weren't having sex with me until after the reversal, I'd be like, "Ok, well, good luck with that then. I'm going to go find someone who isn't so self-absorbed and takes my feelings into consideration too." The audacity that he expects you to just stick around and wait for him to get his head around it is not fair to you.

I get that it's tough to deal with shitting in a bag and having no control over it, but because of it, he is alive. And control is an illusion in all aspects of life.

I might be talking out of my arse, but maybe give him a few more weeks and see if he comes around. And maybe explain to him that you have needs that need to be fulfilled and if he is unwilling to even entertain the idea, you might have to re-evaluate your relationship. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Hillbilly Bee

Hi, whoever suggested that perspectives change over time was absolutely correct. I'm 6 months post-op at this point, am becoming a pro at self-care, and feel completely different about life than even 3 months ago. It's difficult, but if you can stay loving and compassionate for a while longer, your partner will most likely shift toward a more positive view of things. In the meantime, if he won't consider counseling, you might consider it for yourself. Bless you!

Jenerprise

Hello.

I would not even concern myself with this yet. It is still super new and I am sure he is overwhelmed and exhausted by it all. He probably just needs time to become comfortable in his own skin again. Patience!! :)

NewInMexico

First off, I want to thank and applaud you for doing the research and seeking help to better understand your partner and his needs at this time! Every person's journey to surgery is different, and every ostomate's experience post-op is different too. From your post, I gather your partner's ileostomy is due to rectal cancer. Without further information (did he have UC or Crohn's prior to his diagnosis, how long from cancer diagnosis to surgery, etc.), it is difficult to understand what is triggering his insecurities and feelings. People with long-suffering symptoms who have bags saw surgery as a chance at a better life. While having a complete colostomy for most of us means cancer is no longer on the table after years of screening, scares, and various forms of pain, incontinence, and other insecurity-inducing aspects of IBD. But if he was just recently diagnosed with rectal cancer with no other issues leading up to his abrupt surgery, that alone is probably a major factor in his behavior right now. Cancer. Mortality. A complete life flip. Most of us have/had time to process our situation. Cancer takes your breath away...

I had UC for 17 years and the two things I was afraid of were cancer and a bag. As an American, I had to ask for the surgery. There is too much money in big pharma for anyone to ever suggest it as a solution to a better life here (a rant for another time). It took forums like these for me to make the decision myself (and stop fearing the bag) and find a surgeon, who I told upfront and day of surgery, there wouldn't be a second, reversal surgery. Pooping in a bag all the time was a glorious alternative to how I had been living. And as a lot of people have mentioned, reversals can be tricky. It's another go under the knife, it's more back pain, nerve damage, time off from work and life, more toilet breaks as the intestines heal (again), etc.

Even after making the choice, having the surgery, and living with an ileostomy, there have been days where I wish for my old body back. I wish intimacy or dating wasn't so scary (I was estranged from my husband when I had my surgery and he never came back), I wish I could tell you your partner will come around. But right now body image, performance mechanics (as someone suggested earlier), pain, and shock are all normal. I do know 3 months after surgery I was feeling great, then 6 and on (I am 2 and a half years since surgery). Every day it gets better. And then a leak happens or something unexpected, but it does get better! It helps to laugh and make jokes and find funny ostomates who help to normalize the experience (Facebook is great for that). I joke about mine, a lot! And as for sex and intimacy, maybe change WHEN you have sex when he is ready. Mornings after going all night without eating/drinking are great for slow motility (after emptying the overnight waste, of course) and mid-afternoons are good too. I HATE doing anything at night, there is always so much happening in my digestive tract where it's not fun unless it is really fast.

He will get his groove (and 4 weeks is seriously nothing for figuring that out just yet). I just hope you get to get a little of your own. Sex begets sex, perhaps ask him to just be with you while you address your own needs. That might help get him back to you too;-)

Good luck...

Buffi

Great reply! I was also taken aback when I read your thoughts concerning Reversal....that the bag might have seemed not too bad at all, if complications afterwards

No Fritoes?

I was diagnosed with Stage 3b rectal cancer on 9/11/2017, and had chemo, radiation, then surgery in January. I think I understand how your guy feels - my cancer diagnosis has been hanging over my head like a loaded gun. My first set of tests in May came back as a mixed bag, one elevated tumor marker but my CT scan essentially clear, still adding to my fear that I will die within 5 years. That could be the real reason why he is shut down. Only he knows that for sure, but if you can ask him to talk to you about his fears, he may open up and surprise you.

I have not had the wherewithal to have sex with my husband. My colostomy bag is an unwelcome, smelly, constant reminder that I have a pretty good chance of not being at my 14-year-old's high school graduation. Four weeks out of my surgery and I was still in a great deal of pain and still coming to terms with this demon hanging off my left side. I had an awesome support team - from my oncologist to my regular provider, a nurse practitioner who I swear is an angel from above. Even my kids were understanding about my diagnosis. You all have made me realize I am quite fortunate, and I have been rather selfish where my husband is concerned.

My take on things is that your man, and you, are dealing with so much. Can you touch him, gently using your fingertips? He may need to ease back into intimacy. For me, the more the matter is pressed, the less I want to participate, but I try to make sure that my husband knows I love him and I'm ever so grateful for his support and patience.

Immarsh

Hi Mertle 'DOv, you received some great replies to what must be a very frustrating dilemma. I had my ileostomy surgery when I was quite young (15) and have had it for more than 50 years. I had a lot of adjustments to make...when first dating, intimacy, childbirth, divorce, and out in the single world again. My husband also had an ileostomy, so while that wasn't a specific issue for us, it did keep us together either. But we were married for over 24 1/2 years.....and one situation threatened to tear us apart early on. We had both hoped for me to become pregnant, and were thrilled when I did. But ironically, my then-husband had an extreme fear of having sex with me.....afraid of hurting the baby. In the first weeks, I joked about it, but then I started to feel rejected. I let him know that the next 8 months would be upsetting and frustrating for me and our relationship if he didn't start making an effort to see me as "touchable". We started slowly, with holding, touching, kissing.....some simple massage. I had to guide him as to where the "baby was" and positions that didn't cause as much stress. I can't say it was easy, but after having baby #1, he was more prepared for baby #2. And while an ostomy is quite different.....the need/fear of not getting too close to others.....stems more from self than from anything someone else feels about it. The best suggestion is for you to let him know that intimacy has nothing to do with the ostomy. It's him (all of him) that you want to be with, but start slowly... Hold hands at night.....try giving him a back or shoulder massage....have him get used to being touched, intimately......even if he has no reaction. It took me more than a year to respond sexually after my last surgery......too much nerve damage made me nervous and anxious as to whether I'd ever function again. There are lots of physical and emotional adjustments to make, and although it's been 50+ years for me, I still find myself anxious if I'm in a new relationship. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Mikegnv

I can recommend an excellent book that may be helpful in addressing these issues: It's in the Bag and Under the Covers: Stories of Dating, Intimacy, Sex, and Caregiving About People with Ostomies, by Brenda Elsagher (Andover, MN: Expert Publishing, 2011). The author has an ostomy herself and the book is composed mostly of stories about people and couples in similar situations. A lot of good advice here! Good luck!

Hermit

Hello, I have had a colostomy for 4 years. I wished I had it 50 years ago. It will be permanent. I am widowed after 40 years. I am on 4 dating sites, and most don't even know I have a bag. The ones I get serious with, I tell them! I have not been rejected yet! I wear a t-shirt if we get intimate. Your hubby better be glad he has the bag! I am a very sensual guy and could care less about the bag. I am 6'3" and 280 pounds!

Mertle Dove

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my post - I really do appreciate everyone's comments. I would just clarify that I know it's early days yet, and I do understand that my partner feels unable to participate in sex at the moment, it's more the fact that he's told me in no uncertain terms that it will never happen while he has the bag. He's not even willing to entertain the idea.

I'm also aware that if he does get the reversal, that in itself could cause a lot of issues, which may have the same or worse negative effect on body image. However, in his head, all he can focus on is getting it reversed, and nothing I can do or say can get him to see it any differently right now. So, yes, for his sake, I hope he does get the reversal as it's what he wants. From my point of view, as long as he were able to eventually come to terms with it, it would make no difference if he kept the ileostomy permanently .... except maybe if he decided this meant no sex ever again!

NJ Bain - your 2 cents was very frank but certainly not talking out of your arse! You're right that I do need to make it clear to him that I have needs too. I feel totally rejected in respect of all forms of intimacy - even hugging and kissing are off the menu. I miss just getting close and feel forbidden from touching him at all. It's very lonely.

Hillbilly Bee - I can definitely stay loving and compassionate for a long time yet. I think I need to try focusing on the now rather than the future. My best friend tends to be my "counseling" and she did point out that looking on the good things that have happened, like the fact that he's had the operation to remove the cancer and it's been a success, are better than worrying about negatives which may very well resolve themselves in time.

Jenerprise - I so hope you are right that he probably just needs time to get over it all. I think it just came as such a shock to me when he announced his intention not to come anywhere near me until after the reversal that I never stopped to think it might just be his way of asking for some space to get over what he's been through.

NewInMexico - My partner's diagnosis of rectal cancer was approximately 3 months prior to his surgery. He had no symptoms beforehand and only a routine screening picked it up, so yes, massive shock to the system. His late wife died of cancer 18 years ago, so I'm sure he was also thinking of that and the effect his illness would have on his four children. To be honest the last four months have been the worst of my life, worrying what the future would hold, but I seem to react by wanting more closeness in our relationship, while he reacted with distance. You are correct that I am assuming we may never have sex ever again (dramatic!) and I should be viewing it as WHEN, and when he is ready (not if). And thank you for your suggestions regarding sex. I need to get a bit braver myself and go for your last suggestion, if I dare... But nothing ventured nothing gained, so I will try.

Buffi - the reversal and my partner's high hopes for it is actually worrying me more than the bag. There are so many posts about LARS online, but he never goes on the internet or does any research on things the way I do, so he hasn't read about all the possible issues! He won't even read the leaflets the hospital gave him!

No Fritoes? - I totally get where you are coming from. Cancer never really goes away, even when you've been given the all clear. It's one of those diseases where just the word has almost come to mean death sentence, even though it's really not! Do not look on your bag as a smelly unwelcome reminder of impending death, in actual fact it's your very hope for giving you every chance at being at your 14-year-old's high school graduation, and I'm sure it's not smelly to anyone else, that's just your being self-conscious of it. With regard to your husband, I would really urge you to think about trying sex with your husband again, or at least let him know you just need a bit more time/patience to get there. You don't want to lose that intimacy altogether. And from the partner's point of view, I really can understand how lonely it feels. I'll give your suggestion a go and I hope you can give mine a go too!

Immarsh - Thank you for the advice. I will try, but to be honest, at the moment I'm scared to even attempt touching him as I know he doesn't want it. I also know how rejected I can feel when he rejects my advances, so not sure I'm brave enough until he gives the OK (which he hasn't). Holding hands is OK but any more than that and he tenses up. Hopefully things will get better in the next few weeks and we can start taking things slowly, as you say, I'd like him to see me as touchable, let alone me touching him.

Mikegnv - thank you for the book suggestion, I'll certainly look that one up.

Honestabe - I'm assuming from your post that your bowel habits were worse before having the bag? For my partner, he never had any symptoms prior to rectal cancer diagnosis, so the bag has been a sudden unwelcome shock. You sound very confident and I think this is what my partner is lacking at the moment. Hopefully it will come with time.

I think for now I'm going to leave my partner be for a few weeks and see how things go. If he still feels the same this time next month, then I'll try to explain my own needs and see where we go from there. In the meantime, you are all wonderful counselors and I'm sure I'll be chatting to you a lot!

Mertle x

Mertle Dove

Feeling in despair this morning as I tried to put my arm around his shoulder/upper chest in bed last night (just for a hug) and immediately got the tensed up reaction holding me off. If I can't even do that, how on earth am I ever going to get any more intimate?

I felt so rejected I slept in the spare bedroom as I couldn't bear to be near him and not be allowed to touch him. I think I'm going to go insane if this carries on indefinitely.

danieldore

As a 26-year-old male, I used to be... let's say active as hell lol

But I used to feel ashamed or nervous and scared. Give him time. Like you said, temporary. He has been through a lot x

danieldore

Imagine if it was you....The man has had cancer and his life has changed. Stop thinking about yourself. What he has been through is something all of us hate.

LeeB

Hello, never done this, but to the gentleman speaking about the bag, he's right on about it once you accept it, (you gotta get over it). I have had my belly bag going on 3 years. At first, going home from the hospital, I felt like I belonged in a freak show at the circus. But I got over it. Tried for a reversal, got 42 new staples, but still had the bag. Sometimes you feel like Job but hearing about others' experiences I guess I'm okay. Just gotta put it in perspective. A recent bout with bladder cancer did that. So I guess you shouldn't complain too much, things could get worse, so enjoy.

Mertle Dove

Hi Danieldore,
I will give him time. I think I've realized that's really all I can do. Ashamed, nervous, and scared is a horrible way to feel, and I do need to try harder to understand how he feels and realize that this is about him and not about me.

x

Mertle Dove

Message received and understood. Thanks for telling it how it is. Although it's not nice to hear, it did need to be said and I'm genuinely grateful for the reality check.

Mertle

X

Mertle Dove

You are so right! No more complaining...

Mertle

X

Past Member

I truly admire Honest Abe's attitude, maybe even envy him a little, or a lot.

I went into the hospital with a stomachache, I came out with a bag. It was a nightmare, I had no idea what a bag was, only heard of it once in a Tom Cruise movie about a veteran.

It was a total nightmare for two years. My eldest brother and nieces nursed me back to life; that took a year, I was traumatized. I know I developed PTSD over this, that's how bad it affected me. I had a full life.

I completely threw myself into my professional life and a forced transition into a different field. In five years, I have come a long way, but for two years I was a zombie walking around, literally, working, but just in a state of shock. For all these years, I pretended I did not have this condition. I am very grateful my health is stable, but I have not had sex, or had any relationship with anyone with my condition until very recently that decided it was time to reintegrate myself into society by accepting this condition and learning to deal with it emotionally. I have not done that. I have not missed sex, I am not bad looking, average, and I have avoided advances, few of them, always walked away; nothing that could remind me in the real world that I have this bag. I don't think I could deal with rejection. But, it can be learned, we adapt, it just takes some people much longer than others.

Your husband is living inside what I lived, a nightmare, perhaps, I don't know, but for two years, I was out of it, in a daze. To become whole is to accept this condition, face it, deal with it, get ready for rejection; this condition is more mental and emotional and spiritual than it is physical. I wish I could advise you, I ran from it until recently, denied it. That was my way to deal with it, have 'normal' friends who do not know what I have. A perfect way to become alienated from the world and first, oneself. Someone told me this recently; it's true. So, I realized, I must change, I want a full life, but it has taken me this long to feel whole again to a degree.

I do feel your pain, reading your piece brought back the memories of those first few years. It can be done, but it is the most difficult battle you have encountered, it has been for me, mentally, emotionally. Only now I am ready to be brave and face rejection; perhaps. This is hard and takes time and enormous devotion to change. Find him a therapist he can talk to, I did do that, and it helped me enormously. I feel good now, I'm battle-tested, have learned tons, and gained some wisdom, but it has been the most difficult challenge I have ever faced in my life. I truly hope you are not facing this alone.

I am touchy-feely, nurturing, loved hugs, cuddling, kissing, being close, laughing in bed wrapped in the arms of my loved one and vice-versa; all gone for five years, I repressed it and focused on things I could control.

I have found that only poems help me explain this situation. I hope you reach out in messages, there are a lot of decent people here that would love to correspond with you and be there for you now and confront this with you. We must do this, so please reach out, send messages and seek support, some kindred souls will respond with love. Wish you the best, and I will keep you in my thoughts wishing you enough strength to go through this. Reaching the level of confidence to the level where Honest Abe is, takes some longer than others, but your husband can get there.

This site was a godsend for me. It was the only place I found that gave me hope in those dark days, all the information I read made my condition so much better, took time, but the information here was invaluable to me. I came and read daily, and read, and read, and read some more, I am still reading. Only recently I have posted a more complete profile, was not ready before. It took a year to even entertain the idea that I could make a comeback, and then, I got ready for battle, I decided to just throw myself into goals I could control. It is a hard condition that many of us ran away from, try to ignore, and some, just have an easy time with it. Also, get him to support groups right away, it helps to see other people dealing with this, with the same issues, and to see some happy, it helps, gives hope. Enough to get your strength back again, to find that light at the end of the tunnel. You also need support, you are also having this condition, whether you want it or not. Wish you the best again. I wish I could be of some help; it is hard, but can be done.

Angelicamarie

Mertle Dove, this is a subject that is so personal I rarely go there but I'll take a shot, you are on the other side of the spectrum. Once the existence of the new normal takes place all bets change.
Honestable, this is in your direction, when I changed from normal to new normal. Instead of a sexual it became nonexistence. As you're a sexual being, I no longer understand that part of me, I shut down completely when it began.

flynfshr

I had a colostomy and urostomy in September last year. The doctors said it would take 6 months to recover, but I was back full time in 4 months. At 79, I still work every day and eat anything I want to. I very rarely have any problems with the bags. I feel very blessed! My problem is that my wife thinks I'm a freak from Mars or something. She wants absolutely no touching! She has never been too affectionate, but we had a fairly decent sex life until now. There has been no response to my efforts, and she says "I'm too old". She's in good health, so age should not be an issue except in her mind. It makes for a very lonesome life and a constant temptation to look elsewhere. Many (many) years ago before we got married, I had a very good friend who, although married, was my sex partner. I often think about having another similar relationship, but I have absolutely found no way to meet anyone. It sure can get old living this way!!

Mertle Dove

Thank you for your replies CuriousSoulAstray, Angelicamarie, and flynfshr.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that there's really nothing I can do to change the situation at the moment and that I should focus more on trying to understand how my partner feels and just allow him to work through his demons in his own space and time.

I think I do now have a much better understanding of why he feels so unsexy with an ileostomy. Apart from the fact that he sees having a bit of intestine on the outside rather than the inside as unnatural, he's also worried about the smell (which I don't notice), the fact that he can't control the output, worried about how the bag looks, whether it might drop off, the crinkling noise it makes, the noises that come from the stoma itself, the bag ballooning under his clothes and people noticing it, whether it might leak, and the constant reminder that the reason it's there in the first place was because he had cancer. Certainly nothing on that list that makes a person feel sexy!

Only time is going to change his perspective on his ileostomy, so time is what I'll give him. Yes, I'll miss the sex and the intimacy while he's coming to terms with it, but I understand why it has to be this way.

Buffi

What a great response! I, myself, have not had an issue with my bag. I was just happy to be given another chance at life. I was not supposed to survive the sepsis. My surgeon said she'd never seen an abdomen like mine on a live person before. I guess I'm just forever grateful and thankful to be alive. It's better than the alternative.