Experiences with two-piece pouch system and best wafer seals?

Replies
Views
Ophelia1221

Hi. I now have a colostomy. I had an ileostomy for a year. My surgery was in March and I just have not been able to find the pouching system that works for me.

Can you tell me your experiences with a two-piece system?

Also, what brand has the best seals for wafers.

I'm interested in either drainable mini pouches or mini two-piece systems.

I'm not having much luck yet. Either leaks or the bags are huge. Also, odor from the filter of one I've used is bad.

Thank you

Bill

I found the sensura mio two piece system suited me best because it has a belt which gives extra support. However, it pays to get as many samples as you can so that you can compare one with the others.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,447 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

I use the Coloplast 10011 wafer and the 11124 pouch two-piece system. I have tried several products since my surgery 6 years ago, but I find these the best for me. I put a sticker over the filter and have zero odor. I hope this helps. Good luck. I didn't like the Mio pouches as I found they pancaked around the wafer. I am very active with workouts and running, so I change mine every day. Penguins7

NJ Bain

Ophelia1221,

I agree with Bill. Call all of the pouch manufacturers and have them send you free samples.

Bain

estrogen

Someone a while back mentioned that he had the disposable pouches from Hollister and insurance allowed 60 a month....does anyone use this kind and tell me how it works for you?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Rosiesmom

Hi Ophelia, I have personally used the Coloplast Sensura 2-piece system since leaving the hospital with Rosie 4 1/2 years ago. It was recommended by my surgeon. The wafers can be trimmed to customize the fit of your stoma as it will shrink as you heal. The pouch is closed with Velcro tabs, very user-friendly. I also use Convatec barrier paste; it comes in a tube and is easy to apply a bead around the opening between the wafer and skin, providing a great seal. The only two mishaps I have ever had were of my own making for not checking the pouch sooner. I also close the vent as the vacuum created in the pouch can become too strong and not allow waste to move freely away from the stoma, creating pancaking which, if it gets under your wafer, will simply push it off. Applying Vaseline to the outside of the wafer and inside of the pouch also helps move things along, ha.

Inside of the pouch also helps move things along, ha.

Kin

Newbie Dana

I use the Hollister 2-piece system with the disposable pouches. When in the hospital, I had the drainables, but they were way too large and clunky, so I ended up with the 7" mini pouches, since I am only 5'2" tall. (And I HATE draining them!). I am very happy to just put them in the bag and throw them away!

Insurance - I guess that depends on whether you have Medicare or private insurance. Private insurance usually covers more than 60 a month, but you HAVE to get your doctor to write the prescription for more than that. With the mini disposables, you just can't exist on 2 a day. Medicare only covers 60 a month. I don't know if a prescription for more would help with Medicare or not - they have so many persnickety rules!

The good news is you can buy more pouches on the internet, and nobody is asking for a prescription there! The bad news, of course, is that you pay from 65 to 100 for a box of 60 pouches, but sometimes, you got to do what you got to do!

sassie

I also use the Hollister 2-piece system and the drainable pouch. I like the Velcro closure best. After I dump, I pour a cup of warm water in and slush it around and drain that. It keeps the pouch fresh and feels nice and clean too. Medicare will allow you a mixture of pouches and your doctor can write a script if more is needed.