Recovery Time & Living Alone: Hospital Stay Duration?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses recovery time and living alone after ostomy surgery, focusing on the duration of hospital stay and practical tips for managing daily activities.
sjl

Hi y'all - I'm scheduled for an ileostomy reversal in a week (due to a perforated colon). I'm wondering how long your stay was in the hospital? I'm trying to do some planning as I live alone and my friend will have to go back home before my stay in the hospital is over. I am used to pain from a DDD back and the surgeon says I will have "incision" pain. That doesn't sound too bad to me. He says 5 to 7 days in the hospital. His nurse says some patients leave 1-2 days early. Was your stay about that long? I hope I can manage without help when I return home. I'm going with the idea that I can. Thanks in advance.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello, I've never had a reversal but when they operate on your intestines, your stay in the hospital will depend on how long it takes your intestines to start working again. Wishing you luck on the op and a speedy recovery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sjl

Thank you, Super Hero. I really appreciate your response.

JohnNJ

I have had 8 surgeries, the last was done on a Friday and I was able to go home the following Tuesday. I'm a widower of 3 years and had to recover from 6 of the surgeries alone. It's tough. I would get an aid for the first week for 6 hours each day, which did help. Before surgery, go shopping and buy the food you need when you get home. Stores by me have online ordering and delivery, which helps. I do have 2 sisters who would check in and help, but I don't like relying too much on them.

NJ Bain

Sjl,

I never had a reversal either. But my ileostomy surgery was back in '95. They cut me from midchest to groin. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, went home for 3 days and came down with an infection, so I ended up in the hospital for another 2 weeks. After I was out of the hospital, I was fine on my own. Just no heavy lifting or overdoing anything. I was sore and hunched over, and the air in my body from the surgery took a while to dissipate, which you probably already know how uncomfortable that is. And you'll probably be using the restroom more often until your body adjusts to the surgery.

I agree with John about prepping beforehand. And an aide wouldn't be a bad idea. Good luck and keep us informed.

Bain

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
sjl

Thanks, John.   Eight surgeries are a lot to deal with.   I'm glad you managed okay, and thanks so much.  

sjl

Hi Bain....thank you for the response.   That gives me a realistic view of things.   I've had two prior surgeries for something else and have someone who has been able to come in for a few hours a week.   She's having knee surgery herself, so I need to find another source.   Take care.

Katy3943

After my reversal, I stayed in the hospital for 5 days in total. It all depends on how quickly your bowels move. I had a colostomy bag for 8 months. The recovery wasn't too bad... incision pain being the worst part as I was cut from chest to hoo-ha! They gave me an epidural before surgery and removed it 2 days after the surgery. I think the happiness from having the reversal will overshadow any pain. Good luck!!!! Remember... even if you're not hungry, eat in the hospital... bowels can't put out if there's no food in you!!!

Ninny

I just had a reversal of a colostomy due to a ruptured diverticula 3 1/2 months ago. I went in on Friday and a laparoscopic reversal was attempted, but due to the amount of adhesions I had from endometriosis and previous surgeries, they had to open me midline from umbilicus to pubic bone again. I was discharged on the following Monday afternoon. I was passing gas but didn't have a stool till Thursday. My recovery has been so much easier than the initial surgery when I had not been eating for 2 weeks with all the muscle wasting and weakness that accompanied the 1st procedure. I returned to walking 3 miles a day 1 week after the most recent procedure. I wouldn't, however, do any heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks to avoid herniation of either midline or stoma incisions. Good luck with your surgery!

Ninny

sjl

Thank you, Katy, for your great positive post!  I hope you continue to do well!

sjl

Hi Ninny, it sounds like you're doing great! Thanks for the reply. I go in tomorrow and hope I have the same short stay you did.

Kramer

Hi! I had my reversal surgery after 7 months with an ileostomy. I was in the hospital for 3 days after having a bowel movement. The recovery wasn't as bad as the first surgery, although the bathroom issues will drive you crazy! There are days I'm in there like 20+ times, which unfortunately is normal until your colon and intestines regulate, which can take quite some time. They refer to this as clustering. I'm only hoping it gets better. I wish you the best of luck and strength.

Lincoln

Good evening, I had a reversal 40 days ago, admitted to the hospital on Thursday 3 May, released on Thursday 10 May, it was an open op and it went well, very little to no pain, except minutes after they took the epidural out, agony then but a little oramorph and I was okay. I was left with a hole six cm deep and the diameter of my big toe, it has now closed over, the nurses came every day at first to dress and pack the wound, I did have a little complication of dehiscence and the hole that developed there on my midline scar meant a further five days in the hospital on intravenous antibiotics, all well now though. It really does depend on your healing rate, I made sure I ate but only soup for the first few days, eventually it all came back normal and no problem now. I think the time in the hospital historically is up to 9 days, sometimes longer and sometimes shorter.

sjl

Thanks Lincoln and everyone for your responses. I ended up staying a total of 10 days because of a stomach complication. I had an endoscopy which revealed a duodenal ulcer and a blood vessel bleed. That all was handled during the endoscopy. I'm managing fine at home. Had some help for the first few days. Honestly, it's really not a bad recovery at all (compared to other surgeries).

freedancer

Buy some of the disposable washing cloths you can get at the store. You can warm a few in the microwave and wash with them until you are able to bathe. They were a lifesaver for me!!! Good luck to you!

sjl

The microwave is a great idea, freedancer. I had never even thought of that but it works perfectly. Thanks.