Dealing with Post-Op Fatigue 6 Weeks After Ostomy Surgery

Replies
Views
Vikings4mags

I had back surgery on Feb 16th, then 3 weeks later, reherniation occurred on the same disc, so I had a 2nd surgery on March 28th to remove the disc fragment sitting on the nerve. On April 25th, I was rushed into surgery for a perforated colon, small intestine blockage, and sepsis. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital due to the infection. I came home with a PICC line and had home IV antibiotics for 3 more weeks. I am finally getting used to my colostomy 6 weeks post-op, but I am fighting serious fatigue. Did anyone else feel like they had any energy still at 6 weeks? I am thinking about returning to work on Monday, but I'm just so tired all day. Any post-op feedback would be appreciated.

JohnNJ

It always takes me 8 weeks to feel much better, have them check your B12 and ferritin level.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Nothing bothered me more than fatigue after my surgery. My surgery was shocking enough because I did not expect it. But what really distressed me was the lack of energy. I had always been a very energetic person, kind of a gym rat. Loved pumping weights. Energy, drive, these two elements of human life were the centerpiece of my being. At 54, I was a serious arm wrestler at the pub, used to put down much bigger and younger opponents. All that changed with my surgery, right after it. I noticed it immediately.

They prescribed me Vicodin, and for some reason, the lowest dosage of Vicodin would give me energy, who knows why. I took the lowest dosage. Now, they took this drug away a few months ago, the Vicodin. Since then, it has been a struggle to find anything that can give me back the energy I used to have. What I have found to work so far is Fish Oil, Schiff Move Free Ultra Triple Action, 75 Tablets, Vitamin D3. I also take Omega 3, all from Costco.

I have a serious vitamin D deficiency, not uncommon in Seattle. Every time I take the weekly dose of Vitamin D2 prescribed by my PCP, I feel immediate energy, also. It is a pretty strong dosage of D2.

It's a work in progress. Message me if you like, we could talk about it a little deeper, perhaps. At any rate, it is a serious side effect for a lot of people who go through these surgeries, and I don't think it is talked about enough or discussed. Doctors are clueless, and many don't even believe in fatigue. Some are so ignorant of it and indifferent, it is shocking. I hope things get better for you, hang in there, try to find a solution because it is a real issue, and at least I can let you know that you are definitely not alone in this regard. Good luck with everything.

SickChick

Thank you so much for your posts.....all of them. I also have extreme fatigue but thought it was simply because I have become so run down dealing with the various illnesses that I have. Since the surgery, I have ZERO energy. I have tried various vitamins with no luck. Glad to hear that I have not just become a lazy bum!

Before I became ill, I worked 70-hour workweeks, walked a few miles a day, plus did light weight-lifting. No longer. If you find any solutions, let me know. I have noticed that doctors' eyes glaze over when fatigue is mentioned - no help there!

Bill

Great post! I once tried explaining to my doctor about the different types of tiredness and absolute fatigue I was suffering from but he hadn't got a clue. However, he did send me to a sleep clinic where they diagnosed me with sleep apnoea. Once I started using a CPAP machine, this type of tiredness was resolved immediately. The fatigue, I eventually put down to low blood pressure, which would cause me to have to stop whatever I was doing and sit down until the worst of the symptoms past. I too take different mineral supplements but I'm never quite sure if they have any effect or not.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Raine061

I'm still getting the tireds 2 1/2 months post surgery. Crohn's was flaring for awhile before that so I was already run down. Any chance you can go back part time?