Dealing with Skin Yeast Infection under Ostomy Bag - Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
SickChick

I recently began having severe itching and rash underneath my ostomy bag. It occurs only at the outer edges where the bag adheres to the skin - not the center portion where I use the paste. I thought I had developed an allergy to the glue used in the adhesive. When I would remove the bag, it would have a very red circular rash at the border of the bag.

I showed my doctor a photo, and he immediately said it was a yeast infection. I always clean the area thoroughly when I change the bags, so I don't understand why this is happening all of a sudden. I do take Prednisone and Humera, which suppress the immune system, but why a skin yeast infection?

Has anyone else had this sort of infection? He prescribed an antifungal powder and pills, but I am worried about it occurring again without more regular measures. Could it be something in my diet?

Past Member

I had a bad red ring only where the glue contacted the skin. It went away only when I cleaned it with water mixed up with baking soda. Took it off in a few days. Hope you have luck with it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,451 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

SickChick,

I developed an allergy to the tape that goes around the wafer part of the pouch that helps anchor it down. My skin will weep and serous fluid would seep through the tape. I had no issues with it until about 8 years after surgery. So now, I just cut the tape off of the pouch.

I can only suggest that when you change the bag and wash the skin around your stoma, make sure it's completely free of soap and/or adhesive remover and then make sure it's completely dry before applying a new one. I'm sure you already do this. I don't think this is caused by anything in your diet though.

Bain

oHollieo

I had a yeast infection around my stoma when I first got him and used Lotrimin and it cleared right up. I am sensitive to adhesive so I just make sure the area is dry and never get it wet in between changes!! Best of luck!

Hollie

rbkgal

I have found that if I change brands every other time, I don't have that issue. The fabric on the Hollister is the culprit, so I use the Coloplast one every other change. I also use the Brava Protective Film with the Hollister so the beige fabric does not touch the skin around the ostomy.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
funnygurl

Hot humid weather can cause a yeast infection. I get them in the summer but use a powder called Mycostatin to treat it. It works quickly.

HarleySue
Dear Sickchick, I've had my colostomy since 2012. I get severe skin burn and itching from my wafer. So, I clean the area with Tucks, let it dry, and if I'm hanging at home, I just use a cap to give my stoma sight a rest. Hope this helps! Hang in there, Sickchick!
amotherofmen

I had that happen this summer already. I diluted apple cider vinegar and soaked a paper towel in it. For about an hour 3 evenings in a row, I aired out the area under the bag and used an apple cider compress on 10 minutes off 10 minutes. Then I kept a folded tissue or paper towel between the skin and the bag to absorb moisture. Within 4 days, it was completely gone and had started out pretty raw. Hope that helps.

sassie

I was told that yeast hates vinegar and to wipe the area with a bit of cider vinegar and water to help to not get a yeast infection under the wafer.. Good luck

For the burning and itching, I use "Geritrex Benzoin Compound Tincture Topical Skin Protectant 2oz", it really stopped both and no script needed..

Dean25190227

Hi there, hope all is well with you now. If you need to chat, just send me an email. x