Advertisement
ConvaTec - Less Pressure More Protection
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,543 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,543 OstoMates.

the use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch.

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm

No wonder people have such misinfomed and disrespectful attitudes towards people with ostomies, and worsened by ostomates who use the term, as well. 

I find the use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch, demeaning and disrespectful. 

To me, its my pouch, part of the appliance I wear, a result of life saving surgery from a debilitating and killer illness,  and deserving of more respect.

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:58 pm

You are absolutely entitled to you opinion and feelings, please know that none of us mean negate how important our appliances are to our lives. I personally have used both references at one time or another mostly pouch, but bag has slipped out from time to time. There truly is enough to deal with in our daily lives as ostomy patients without getting hung up on the semantics of what to call it. 

Sincerely gail aka Rosiesmom

Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
  Past Member
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Pidgent yes it is a very bad word for me to hear bags ar 1cent pouches are not bags only the people who use the name bags ear in a sense bags 💼 

Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:54 pm

I think you need to clarify your statement!!!!! I am most assuredly NOT a bag.

Past Member
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

No I ment people who call pouches bags are probably bags 💼 I don’t like the word bags eather.first thing the ostame nurs told me Thea don’t sell bags 💼 im with you pouch is not a bag.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:05 am

The use of words is often a problematic pasttime. In the context of stomas the term 'pouch' sometimes refers to Jpouch, which is a different meaning to the external receptacle for waste.  

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:49 am

If I knew someone didn’t like referring to their appliance as a bag I would respect that person’s wishes and call it a pouch, but to me calling it a bag isn’t intended to be derogatory in any way and does rather accurately describe what it is.

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 am

I can't believe anyone would be so worried about what to call your appliance. I call mine a bag and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if others refer to it as such. Pouch is probably more accurate but who cares! We have much bigger things to be worried about, like being alive!

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:45 am

My sentiment exactly!

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm
I'm going to be very blunt on my aspect of the Appliance or Pouch and or Bag and come right out and say it's a sack, a sack full of sh... waste or whatever you want it to be. Whether it's demeaning or disrespectful it holds what we as Ostomates can no longer do as we once did and having it as a Life saving apparatus makes do druthers to me. Just my Opinion for there isn't anything I can do to change it for I'm not remotely interested in having a J-Pouch. Eight years of having the above definition I have accepted it graciously.
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Touché, a bag a pouch by any othe name is still what it is, a reseptical for disposing of waste. Which may also call by any name you wish.

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Charleston Guy,

I'm with you.  My sensura mio is a plastic bag covered with some softer gray material, glued to my stomach to collect bodily waste--aka shit.  There is NO OFFENSE or DISRESPECT ever intended by using the term bag when I describe my appliance, but some folks seem to take offense. A rose is a rose is a rose....

I never understood naming the stoma either, but I totally respect anyone's desire to do so, especially if it helps them in the acceptance of their life changing situation.

Peace

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 pm

It is disrespectful to be told by someone else how to refer to something that I have earned. I earned this bag by surviving cancer. How dare you presume to have the right to try and tell me to call my bag something else. But guess what, feelings don’t kill you. If we are going to be a society of victims, the wolves will be well fed!

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Totally agree, mine has always been a "Puuch"

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Sticks and Stones may Break my Bones

But words shall never hurt me. 

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.