Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Meet and talk to 19,450 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,450 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

the use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch.

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

intrepidagent :  If semantics is the biggest issue you have as an ostomate, you must be doing very well indeed.   My bag is like my bra or my sanitary napkin.  They do a job and are inanimate objects.  They have a function and do not demand respect in my experience. If you feel disrespected it may well be a reaction to your disrespectful behaviour toward others and not what your ostomy receptical is called.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Wow intrepigent, ( sorry if name incorrect) I wonder if you had any idea what an avelanch of emotions you were going to open up with your post. As I said in my first response you are entitled to you feelings and opplnions, by the very nature of that you must allow those of us who feel differently to do so. I became a member of our exclusive group after a rectal cancer diagnosis. I too wear my pouch/bag/sack as a badge of the courage it took to go through the chemo radiation surgery that i endured to get here. Very much ALIVEand making the most of every. So call it anything you want I am one of the lucky ones still around to hear you. Take care and don't sweat the small stuff.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:49 pm

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Trying to think like I have a brain, a bag by any other name would still be the recipient of our waste and part of the appliance that probably saved our lives. Unfortunately, some might care more about what it’s called than what it does for us. Just a thought.

Respectfully,

Mike

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Mike, the analogy was only meant to point out that it doesn't matter what it's called, just the purpose that it serves.  Obviously not the best analogy, but one meant with good will in an attempt to remind us that it doesn't matter what one chooses to call it, but rather to respect the purpose.  For some of us it is a means to remind us of a  life saving situation, for others it is no more than a constant reminder of a terrible abuse of power that left them dissatisfied with the outcome.  And no, it certainly does NOT smell sweet. Smile

And Mike, you ALWAYS seem to think like you are using your very ample brain., because you apparently always give great consideration to your comments.

Peace

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:48 pm

I recently covered this exact topic https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-bag-or-pouch/

In short, "bag" is by far the most widely accepted term to describe it. Most other terms either cause confusion (even among other ostomates) or may simply be misunderstood as something else. 

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you Dadnabbit.  You're very kind.

Sincerely,

Mike

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:45 am

My "old bag" is either my wife or a discarded ostomy bag. I use the terminology with the greatest of love and respect, for without either one this life would be too miserable to continue...

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 pm

I guess I’ve never stopped to think about what I call it, really makes no difference to me but I respect those who are sensitive to it. First I had an ileostomy then got reversed then a year and half later I had to have a colostomy which became permanent. It’s been 3 years now with my colostomy. And no, I do not and don’t have any intention of naming it, do you name your butt hole? I did not get to be my age by stressing or worrying about what I can not change, I just go with the flow of life. Happy to be me 😉

Nurse
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 am

Forma,

Thank you for your comment. As an ostomy nurse of many years and someone who has trained at least 25 new ostomy nurses, I agree with you. During training I was reminded not to refer to the pouch as a "bag". I have passed this on to those who I have had the pleasure of training.

I must tell you that through the years I have been referred to as "The bag Lady", I tell everyone "Yes, I am"... I consider it a term of endearment. 

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

hi from Baltimore.do you know any nurses with ostame.

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:47 am

. i call mine a daiper  

Past Member
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

I don’t wear my pouch unless I go for a long ride or a doctor appointment.i cal my pouch my crap 💩 funnel things.aney thing but bag 💼 .after all its just food theat keeps us cleaning not the bags or pouch. its the having to convey 💩 to toylet .the more you eat the more you go.with not wearing a pouch my stoma has came out and has gotten larger in diameter.my skin around stoma is back to normal.i think people should spend more time with out the 💼 more often nice chat 

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

You are correct! Much more to be concerned about!

Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 pm

It is a bag. Someone referring to my bag as a bag would have no effect on me. Enough PC culture out there without us making an issue of calling a bag a pouch. 

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 am

I think if that's all you have to get concerned about, you are doing fine. Maybe you need to lighten up and, as long as you understand the description, all is well.

Go to page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.