Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

The use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch.

Posted by Pinky, on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm
The use of the term "pouch" is encouraged, not to be PC, but to inform the ignorant that an ostomy is a SYSTEM...a pouching system. The ignorant includes insurers, including Medicare which at one time was threatening the coverage of accessories that some of us NEED to make our ostomy systems work at a humanly decent level. "Bag" is also very often used in a demeaning way as well by people who get off on mocking ostomates in their so-called "jokes".
Reply by delves, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:46 pm
MrPlod: The original question was, is there anyone that can help him understand his ostomy with regard to clothing to ware in sports. I can tell you about stealth belt which was invented by a runner with an ostomy. You can check with out at "stealthbelt.com" great product.
Reply by delves, on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm

United States Private Message
Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:46 pm
reply reply with quote edit

MrPlod: The original question was, is there anyone that can help him understand his ostomy with regard to clothing to ware in sports. I can tell you about stealth belt which was invented by a runner with an ostomy

Reply by ostomygirl207, on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 am

yes however when you meet someone or you first tell someone you have an ostomy ....they always say OH IS THAT A BAG.....and it really ticks me off

so I do think we need to re educate the public on what is going on with ostomies....they seem to think it is NO BIG DEAL....it is just some 

bag you stick on my stomach...LOL.....I explained to one person recently about how my small intestine END is coming out 

of my abdomen near my belly button.....LOL and they freaked out.....what do they think this "BAG" thing is for...???? LOL ....I also always 

correct people when they use that term...and tell them it is a POUCH....I want to EDUCATE the general public....so they will be more

sensitive to how they talk about ostomates......

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Being a Norwegian this is not a problem at all. We simply don't say bag or pouch at all but yes still there are also misinformed and disrespectful attitutes found in countires where the bag-name is not used. At the moment I live in Germany, and the name bag is not used here eighter. There is a world outside the English language and even outside the USA. 

From this we can learn it is actually not about a name at all. So we should look elsewhere. And if you say bag or pouch does really not do change anything.

My private bias is that we should not say bag or pouch in English at all but dress. My Janis has a dress. Smile Please do not insult her by believing it is a pouch or a bag. 

Reply by 2purses, on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 pm

I totally understand the wish to have people refer to our appliances as pouches. I have both a urostomy and colostomy (lottery winner) and I have adjusted well. I live a quality life though there are things these pouches prevent me from doing, including stay at other people’s houses. Things can get messy and the odor is often gag-worthy. So despite adapting to this situation, I often feel it has robbed me of some dignity-esp when something unexpected sends me flying to the bathroom. Using the word pouch feels more dignified. Not as many jokes made about it. Granted not everyone has a problem with social perception and has no problem with the dignity factor. All I can say is carry on!

Reply by Bill, on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 am

Hello everyone! I just love this thread and wanted to thank you all for actively participating in the discussion.

I have found it educational, instructive, entertaining and, the essence of what you all say, will definitely form part of my stand-up comedy act - if and when I find the time to indulge myself in this particular item on my bucket-list. Interestingly, I don't use any of the terms listed thus far:  " bag, pouch,sack, appliance/accessory, waste disposal unit, sanitary napkin, recipient of waste, daiper, dress, purse or 'BADGE' (which is the concept I like most). Because I irrrigate, I tend to use a 'sleeve' for the actual process, which I fold up to make a temporary receptacle for the waste before flushing it. At nights I wear a sensura-mio device which is still just a small 'sleeve', which I can empty in the same way as the larger 'sleeve'. During the day I use a stoma 'plug' so, whenever anyone makes a comment about me having to wear a bag, I automatically and instinctively inform them that I don't wear a bag, but I wear a plug instead during the day. If appropriate, I then get into a humorous educational introduction to stomas, beginning with how much easier it has been managing the shit from the front, than it was when I was incontinent of faeces through my arse.(when I also had to wear anal plugs - which held it up and then let it all flush out at once down my 'drainpipe' trousers.)  If, by this time, my audience remains with me, I will share some humorous horror stories about embarassing disasters from the past,  which were not funny at the time, but in rerospect, can be laughed at in the same way that some people find 'candid camera' sequences highly humorous.

I find that much of human humour is at the expense of someone else's misfortune and it might be that people who laugh at this stuff are consumed with a complex mixture of emotions which motivate them to express (relieve) themselves by laughing as an alternative to crying, being embarrased or getting angry.

For me, I think that humour directed at myself, seems like an acceptable way of helping people to laugh 'with me' at tragedy, at the same time as being 'educated' into the unfortunate circumstances of their fellow human beings.

Thank you all once again for sharing your thoughts and experiences in this way.

Best wishes

Bill   

Reply by currentsitguy, on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am
intrepidgent wrote:

No wonder people have such misinfomed and disrespectful attitudes towards people with ostomies, and worsened by ostomates who use the term, as well. 

I find the use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch, demeaning and disrespectful. 

To me, its my pouch, part of the appliance I wear, a result of life saving surgery from a debilitating and killer illness,  and deserving of more respect.

I tend to be rather flippant in my terminology. I find a bit of humor helps me to cope. Heck, I'm also a Type1 diabetic and I've been known to refer to an insulin dose as "shooting up", and my pen as a "warm gun". Smile

Reply by britathrt60, on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 am

Honestly you can call it whatever you like....I have always called it a bag when meeting someone new and they know right away what I mean..At the end of the day "It is what it is" and I call my stoma Ozzy....For all of us who are on this Ostomy journey we have to lighten up and be grateful that we are alive..Take care everyone.

Sincerely

Angela

Reply by Pickles, on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:31 pm
Love your attitude Angela! I am with you!
Reply by honestabe, on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Have woman living with me ! We are very intimate! Having fun at 67!

Reply by britathrt60, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:21 am

Thanks Pickles....take care.

Reply by panther, on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Your life your choice you can call it anything you like in the end it all comes down to the same thing it's a bowel on the outside....called mine a bag for 30 years that's my choice no one else's 

Reply by eddie, on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:46 pm

I agree it is just a word, a rose by any other name smell as sweet, lol

dls
Reply by dls, on Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Well, Intrepidgent YOU may call your personal ostomy items by any name you wish.  However, if I didn't have a sense of humor about these things I would never have been able to make the adjustment.  My stoma is called Stomy (and is male), I refer to one-piece appliances as 'onesies' and two-piece as 'twoonies' (you know, like the Canadian two dollar coin). I agree with many of the opinions already expressed.  One more thing, I have found that by airly saying 'oh yes, my cancer did result in my getting a baggie' puts people at ease.  Regardless of how fastidious I am about my personal self-care, for those completely uninitiated, it makes things much easier to understand.  Using a lot of specific medical language can (and is) an affectation and off-putting to those who don't understand. Not to be rude, but pull your finger out and relax. dls

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.