Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

The use of the word "bag" to describe an ostomy pouch.

Posted by AquarianGirl, on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 am
I've always referred to it as "my appliance" or "my pouch" and that's my personal choice. To me, a bag is a bag which has the connotation of being a bag LOL. Out of respect I wouldn't refer to another's appliance as a bag ... just not me. And I'd likely be offended if anyone called mine a bag.
Reply by Bagit, on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Coming from a Military background I got a big laugh out of this subject from the very begining.

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:27 am

Could you please clarify why a military background should create a big laugh here from the very begining?

Reply by Bagit, on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:18 pm

ไหว้, Knut

I was raised by a no nonsense navy seal who fought in Iwo Jima was captured, tortured for 6 months and finally freed. 

His standards are old school and I prefer them to todays world of political correctness which only strengthens peoples biases and adds to the current uneasiness that seems prevelent today.  Less sensitive, more outgoing is better.

I didn't think twice when speaking about the plastic bag that adhears to my holy temple. 

How do you feel about the bag that we all wear on this site?  It reminds me of the money belt I wore when visiting Chiang Rai.

Namaste Donavon

Reply by Bill, on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 am

Hello Namaste. Thank you for your reply to Knut's question as I was wondering the same thing. I am currently writing about humour and the reasons why we 'laugh or lament', so a different perspective is most useful.

Best wishes Bill 

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am

Thank you for your reply. I think I understand. To me this discussion is strange mainly because English is not my first language and we only have one word for the bag in my language. I see it for some is important to say pouch and for others it is OK with bag. Personally I really do not think it matters at all what we call it if we are concerned by the stigma. I think that is just bias to focuse on the one word and exclude the other. And I know some people without stoma smile a little bit about this.

In English I prefere to call these things a dress because my stoma is named Janis. She has a dress. It is as simple as that and this word I also uses when talking with others in the language I then may use. If we want to fight the stigma (which is the reason for the discussion about these two words) I believe it is better to have fun and show people that we have fun calling it different things. That is better than saying we do not like one word but only another. 

People actually think that is a little bit nonsense.

Reply by Ewesful, on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm

bag, sack, pouch....what difference doesit make--- the pouch reminds me of tobacco pouches and I have no use for the word 

Reply by latina63, on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:49 pm

I think what happens sometimes is that it's easier for people to understand. I remember when I had my ileostomy (reversed now for 6yrs), people had no clue when I said ostomy or even pouch but when I said my little poop bag on my side EVERYONE understood. Hopefully now there is more awareness about it and people can understand more when you say "ostomy". This is just my opinion from my own experience of wearing an ostomy for a year.

Reply by Kissy, on Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 am

Hi, with all my due respect to your opinion, I am not worried if my pouch is called a bag or a luggage.

I have a retracted stoma that leaks constantly.  Had RC 5 months ago and still trying  to find the right pouch AKA bag, appliance.  That is what I must concentrate.

Reply by Bagface, on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:20 pm

I call mine a "bag". "Appliance" sounds like a refrigerator

Reply by Robb, on Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:25 pm

I say pouch too don't like to say bag

Reply by Mike & Nuisance, on Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:42 pm

Hmmm, having had a 'bag' for 50 years, it started off as a bag, and only when new more fashionable bags came along they were "poshed-up" to "pouches". I still wear my bag, but now trying out pouches...

Must admit, we're not bovvered... 

Reply by charleston guy, on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Let's see, it was an appliance then a bag to a pouch. But now I've come to calling it my Bling. Though it my not be gold or silver but it's still hanging from my body. 

Just say'in !

Reply by w30bob, on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Some posts (and the responses they generate) on this site are absolutely hysterical. To me this is one of them. I couldn't care less what anyone calls their shit bag. I always wear a clear bag and love showing it to curious onlookers.  That grossed out look they get on their face when they realize what it is they're looking at is truly priceless!  Reminds me of that once popular saying.....don't sweat the small stuff.  Lighten up people.

Regards,

Bob

Reply by warrior, on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 pm

I am glad someone brought this up. I really don't mind what this thing is called. to me it is not derogatory. I believe it is a bag. If I were a penguin or kangaro, why yes it would be a pouch. something accessible for  things to be put inside.  only thing going into this is my shit.  am respectful if you decide to name it, john, paul or george.   dont care.  I just think naming it, you ought to be able give more infomration on it.  like a social security number or favorite color.  where it like to go on rainy days.  but no, it doesnt bother me on bit. I have a bag.  I use a bag.  to me its that simple. I will never give it character. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.