The Disrespectful Use of "Bag" for Ostomy Pouches

Replies
Views
Mark1070

Even better, call it a "prosthetic," which is what it actually is and what the insurance companies refer to it as.

Past Member

Yeah, you're right. I didn't really give it consideration, to be honest. You have to admit the first few weeks are full-on learning and innovating to design aids of all kinds to make the BAG (sorry, couldn't resist) management regime as efficient and clean and tidy as possible. But I'll use pouch in the future. They are a remarkable piece of design, I must admit. Having said all this, there was a lovely older guy, a nurse, in the colorectal ward when I was in for my emergency ileo, from South Africa. The accent and his reference to the pouch as a "shit bag" was fantastic, especially if a particularly slick consultant was within earshot. It made me laugh every time, but Erik couldn't understand why I found amusement in this.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,379 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.