Exercises for Arms with Abdominal Hernia?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
bukowski

I recently developed a parastomal hernia. Months prior to that, I was starting to work out more and more. I still walk daily, but I would still like to do some strength training. Specifically, my arms. Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen my arms without putting any strain on my abdomen? I tried doing some, but I can't help but feel there is some strain on my abdomen still. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi from Baltimore. I have a surgical hernia. I'm waiting to get smaller, but I don't lift weights with a stoma. I do the Tye Che and isometrics. I swing a sledgehammer like a sword with the Tyeche slow movement and meditate. When they finish with you, you now have to learn to watch not to hurt yourself. Diet and keeping moving every day will keep you fit. Live long and prosper. Kemo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello bukowski. With all types of exercise it's wise to take it in small steps to increase whatever you are doing. I've had my hernias from day one so they were not caused by anything untoward that I did. However, not wanting to aggravate them, over the years I have  gradually increased my activities (and worn hernia belts) until I can now do more or less what I used to do, including gradening and DIY (concreting etc.) which included heavy lifting. 

Best wishes

Bill

vikinga

I also do Tai Chi and Chi Qong. Good exercise without hurting yourself:)

p morbey

Hello friend, I have the same as you and understand how you are feeling. If anyone gives you info on training without the strain, please tell me and I'll do the same for you also. Stay healthy :) Paul

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
sunasea

I have the same and I run 7 miles a day and workout at the gym, do sit-ups and all. No issues.

Past Member

I'm a blue-eyed Viking. I swing Viking and shield with the che on a Reebok step aerobics. You look very fit. Live long and prosper.

Artsy Lady

Hi,

My hernia developed over time. In an effort to keep it from getting bigger, my doctor suggested I try physical therapy.

You have to be very careful what muscles you use - no sit-ups. Maybe see if your doctor will refer you.

I really don't want to have to start wearing an ostomy belt. I found underwear that have a wide spandex band that works great to support my hernia. They are made for women to hold in the tummy, but if you can get past that, you could try it. They come in black... plus colors. Made by Jockey Life and I got them at Walmart.