African Americans with Stomas

In this discussion
Replies
Views
JazzyGurl

Are there any African Americans on this site with stomas?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HarleyDoll

What?What does somebody's race have to do with a stoma?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

This is my first post. I am a black man with an ostomy (stoma is named Jake). I have had it since March. I accepted this by seeing this as a prostethic appliance. Upon waking up and seeing Jake as a part of me (Stage 3B rectal cancer), I said hello to him, and I paid attention to the nurses and watched them change it while I was hospitalized. Upon returning home, I had a visiting nurse stop in. She was amazed how I learned how to change it while sitting up. I have back up supplies everywhere, and yes, I have had blowouts in public places, mostly caused by my seat belt. I don't care who knows or what they think about this. I am in no way embarrassed by having an Ostomy. It is what it is, because without it, I won't be alive right now. Near the end of the year (60-90 days after chemo/radiation concludes), I will have my takedown surgery. I am more apprehensive about internal leakage. External leaks is a minor issue, compared to internal leaks.

JazzyGurl

HarleyDoll

Huh? Race doesn't have anything to do with having a stoma. I was just asking! Jeez!

JazzyGurl

Hello Two_buttz. Thanks for your response. I had permanent placement of an ileostomy a few years ago. So, unfortunately there's no takedown surgery for me. I'm still having a hard time dealing with the extra "baggage." I've gained so much weight and I suffer with severe dehydration. I've turned into a diehard introvert. I don't even attend church anymore.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Sorry you are having a hard time dealing with this. As far as dehydration, it is most likely due to low electrolytes. You can either drink gatorade-like drinks, or Pediasure. Both have electrolytes. With food, I take Beano, avaliable aqlmost evdrywhere. That helps break down the foods you eat, and help with nutrient absorption. Hang in there. I have PTSD, from militarty service, and I learned to live life, not to have life get to you. I am more self-conscious at home, than in public. WHen I have my chemo bag to wear, folks assume I am packing heat.........I then tell them I am packing poop........they get that embarrassed look....lol

HarleyDoll

Sure you weren't. Good try. It's exactly what you said.

Past Member

Some black folks hide the fact they even have an ostomy appliance. Call it pride if you must, but I am not ashamed about having this. No shame in my game. If you got it...flaunt it!! I feel very Napolean-like, as he had one as well. So did Ike Eisenhower.

Past Member

I'm not a girl but I know of one on the site she is recovering from sists removal. look up angel she is a blogger here and she is beautiful black woman.with a stoma. welcome to the site.you will find a lot of different people on this site.yes there's some black community on the site you just have to weaighting around people will get back to you it seems the majority of the people here are white it seems to me from here.wer all just peoples here in Baltimore.be strong ' surf on.

Past Member

B-Mo, huh? I have been to the Inner Harbor often..........I miss the ESPN Zpne. I used to reside in LAncaster, PA. Only about an hour 15 minutes away.

Past Member

the clam chowder is the best on the planet .in your area.wet to school for a few weeks back in the 80 s. the clubs bye the ocean is awesome.the stars are very close and easy to see. its 6 blocks to the country side 60 blocks to the harbor.i like fells point.the eatery at the harbor rockin robin cherry ' Coca-Cola chesburger and fries 20 minuts I'm home . You ever in Baltimore give me a call.

Falconlady

My Sister had the surgery along with several bag blowouts. Finally got that issue resolved but she is still constant pain around the stoma area. Anyone else has had this issue?

Falconlady

Having pain issues around the stoma area. Any others with this same issue?

nwcurtis

yep. Is it outside?

drfields24

Hello I'm Denise and I understand your question when I first came to this site I wondered the same thing only because it appears that non African Americans are silent about their ostomy. I'm a part of several support group and yes we are silent which is very interesting to me. Don't know exactly why we are but we are. Now in my family it is a hush hush kind of thing. Been in my family nobody wants to see that cover it up. And yes it does seem like other cultures are more open about it and don't mind showing it. And I'm glad they do because it has helped me to better except it. I hope and pray that we as a culture will open up more and not be afraid to share and talk about it

drfields24

I meant African Americans are silent about their ostomy not non African Americans.

SemiColon

Hey Two_Buttz..... I love your upbeat attitude. I need a huge infusion of that today. Got my temporary ileostomy mid April and like you I'm getting the take down at year's end. Things have been rocking pretty smoothly until I started my infusion chemo last week. Since I returned the portable fanny pack I've had three blow outs, underarm pain and total loss of appetite. The blowouts have really concerned me because I'm not doing anything differently. Thank God for my wonderful husband, who has helped me each time with tons of patience and humor. But I'm struggling to keep my humor and patience going. I just feel like crap most of the time. Does your portable chemo give you any problems? I had the same thing as you— stage 3 rectal cancer.