Ostomy closure

In this discussion
Replies
Views
positivelifeoutlook

Many people with ostomies don't need to wear a bag, there's the continent illeostomy a.k.a.(koch pouch), and the B.C.I.R. pouch, very successful procedures compared

to the Jpouch and other pouches like the W-pouch and the S-pouch that are full of pain and suffering to the patient without much success to see.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HungryHamster

Hi positivelifeoutlook,

I would like to just make a statement about the J-pouch, seeing as I had mine done in November of last year. I would like to mention that I was 18 at the time, and so age has likely been a major contributing factor to my successful recovery and J-pouch function.

The J-pouch is not an unsuccessful procedure by any means. I was lucky in that my surgeon has many years of experience in J-pouch surgery, as it is among his most common operations. I was, of course, apprehensive about undergoing the operation, however, I had the mindset of "if I don't try, I'll never know". It has been the best decision I have ever made. Whilst the J-pouch can be frustrating at times and the recovery process is ongoing and, at times, painful, it was by no means a failure. My perspective on the subject is that the J-pouch gets bad publicity on the internet because if something goes wrong, you want to let others know. If all is well, you get one with your life and move on. I used to frequent this website when I had my ileostomy, usually checking in daily. Now, I come here maybe once per month simply because I forget due to having my J-pouch and getting on with my life.

I hope I haven't come across as hostile. I don't want people being deterred from a possible return to a relatively normal digestive function and being denied a happy and fulfulling future, however, I am also not saying that J-pouches are always successful. It is likely that the combination of my age, very lean build, and highly experienced surgeon gave me the best possible chance of success. As long as people consider the pros and cons of the operation and are not swayed by every bad story that is posted online and then have an informed discussion with their surgeon about this, then I'm happy. As my surgeon told me, the best question he hears from his patients when they're concerned about surgery is "would you have this operation if you were me?". This often opens up a huge range of dialogue with your surgeon and will result in the most honest answers from him/her.

Once again, I hope I have not come across as hostile as that is not my intention. Rather, I want to be informative to anyone who is interested in the pros and cons of J-pouch surgery.

All the best,

Hamish

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Sammie
Ok. I just purchased 3 packages of large Colo Magic Osto my liners as I have over the past few years from Express Med only to find the liner has changed to a less flexible and cheaper type plastic. THEY SUCK because bulkiness at snap on area of bag makes it impossible to secure. A couple of embarrassing times. I need to know where I can find the old liners that work! BUYER BEWARE !!! All To save a buck at out expense