Brand new ostomate

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Kellebelle

Today I was discharged and still outputting just liquid. I did eat mac and cheese and baked potato tonight. How long should it be before real stool comes out? My colostomy is a loop. I'm a paraplegic for 37 years and elected operation to simplify emptying bowels.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Kellebelle. Welcome to MAO. Your question is not an easy one to answer as everyone is different with regard to processing food and a lot depends on what it is you are eating. Some have a rapid digestive system and the food comes through within a day or so and others take several days.  As for whether the output will be liquid, solid, or somewhere in between, that also depends on you own metabolism and what it is you are digesting. It is likely that, once it all settles down, your digestive system will work in much the same way as it did before so, if you took a long time to digest stuff then, it will probably remain the same now.  In my own case. I irrigate, so I expect it to be mostly liquid because that's what I put in most, last and through the stoma. However, during this very hot spell of weather, I have noticed that I'm having a lot of harder output and I put that down to liquid being absorbed and used as sweat, which is why they warn about dehydration during hot spells. I certainly feel that managing your bowls will be simplified by having a stoma even if it does throw up its own irritations. I found it was about experimenting and exploring what works best and what to avoid bot in terms of food and other things.  I hope all works out well for you in the future

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

Hi Kelle,

Welcome to the forum. Bill is right, everyone is different. Be patient with yourself, and keep an eye out for the answers your body will give you as you heal and go through the process.

freedancer

Hi Kelle, glad you found this site. It is awesome and everyone is wonderful! In regards to your question, I will answer from the do-over aspect. I started producing stool right away but with an ileostomy, it starts with the liquid and slowly, over a couple of weeks, starts to get thicker. My first ostomy strictured almost immediately after the first surgery so I only had little bits of liquid in it for about 7 months until it completely failed. After the redo, things worked much better. You will get used to it all in due time. Be sure to keep us in mind if you have any questions at all. This site has been a lifesaver and best friend to me since I had my surgery. Good luck! Pamela

Newleaf

Hi Kellebelle,
I had my loop colostomy on May 25 for the exact same reasons that you did. I have found that it took me a good 7 weeks now to regain my normal pattern. Two weeks after surgery, I returned to my normal diet slowly and it was still very liquidy. I thought it was only going to take a matter of days or even a week...I was wrong. Someone said to me it takes that long for your intestines to heal, which I guess makes sense. -K

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister