Rash at Wafer Site

In this discussion
Replies
Views
estrogen

I've had my ostomy bag for a year and a half and just now I've developed a nasty rash. What would you use to treat it with without the bag coming unattached?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

EvaJean

It would depend on what is causing the rash. My skin is pretty sensitive and was getting too dry, and slightly irritated under my wafer. I started using "Coloplast Sween Cream". Now my skin looks great! "3M Cavilon Barrier Cream" is another option. They both moisturize the skin but don't interfere with the adhesion of your wafer. Coloplast makes a couple different types, make sure you get the one that says it doesn't affect tape adhesion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sunasea
Hi.
spinbot

I had issues with skin irritation, however only under the tape barrier, not the wafer. I was allergic to the adhesive on the tape portion. My skin was issues became a yeast infection. As I couldn't topically resolve the issue without losing adhesion, I took an anti-fungal orally. I'm a guy, but I basically take Canesten I buy over the counter. I have switched to wafers without the tape barrier and instead use DuoDerm as a tape (as it has similar adhesive properties to the wafer, but doesn't bother my skin and lets me wear my wafer for 6'ish days).

If the skin is sore right around the stoma, for the acids of your stool, I'd start with getting a mouldable wafer so it fits tighter around the stoma. When I have really irritating sores, I go a step further and I burn/cauterize them with silver-nitrate sticks. It hurts a little, but after an hour it feels way better than the sore that was there before.