ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,110 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,110 OstoMates.
Not your typical ostomy website. See why

Rectal bleeding with loop colostomy

Past Member
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone! I am new to the group. I was diagnosed with a rectovaginal fistula almost two years ago. After 2 major surgeries to try to repair it and a ileostomy then reversal it opened back up. In April 2018 during another surgery my bowel was punctured and I got sepsis and went into septic shock which the only option of saving my life was a loop colostomy which will most likely eventually be permanent. My question is... I am away on vacation and I have started experiencing bloody discharge from my rectum along with occasional sharp stomach pain and woke up with my back killing me this morning. I am wondering if this is something to be concerned about ? Like I said I am away on vacation and not sure if I should just go to the closest ER? 

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 pm

I actually just messanged my surgeon about similar issues on Monday.  I don't know your exact circumstances, but some occasional bloody discharge isn't all that uncommon when you still have a rectal stump.  KEEP AN EYE ON IT THOUGH, if you don't feel right, get it looked at.

Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 am

I'm sorry I have no advise BUT I also had a recrovaginal fistula!! I also had anal sphincter tearing. 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.