Vitamin Absorption without Colon: Hair Loss and Nutrient Deficiency

Replies
Views
petunia

I have had an ileostomy for 12 years. My question is this. Recently, I started to lose my hair. It is getting very thin. I am on some very good vitamins and omegas.

I have a friend on the same vitamins as I am on who has started to get new hair growth. I have not. She does have a colon. I do not have a colon anymore. I know my vitamins are not

being absorbed like they should if I would have a colon. Is it possible that I am not getting the nutrients from my vitamins because of not having a colon? Should I

take extra vitamins each day? If anyone has answers to this, I would really appreciate some help on this. Thank you

xnine

Are you getting B12 shots?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

vdahl

Hi Petunia,

This is something I have asked a lot of doctors about with regard to vitamins, medications (especially thyroid) and, of course, calories. The general consensus is "MOST of the nutrients are processed in the SMALL intestine" so assuming most of your small intestine is left in place for your ileostomy, all should be fine. I have noticed some pieces of large pills and the time-released capsules have come through into my pouch. In that case, I was advised to break large pills up and "some" capsules can be opened -- be sure to check with your doctor though.

First of all, your doctor can take a quick blood draw to see what your levels are because everyone is different and there's no sense taking more or loading up on things if there's no deficiency. So far as the issue with your hair loss, again, you might consider having a blood test to be sure your thyroid is doing well... I know from personal experience that I start losing hair when my thyroid is off. My endocrinologist really keeps close tabs on my hormone levels, for which I'm grateful.

Just my thoughts... hope you're finding the answers you need!

ostomygirl207

Yes, hair loss is a huge thyroid issue.....I have had thyroid disease for 40 years so I consider myself an expert on it......I have an ileostomy and for some reason the past year I have not been absorbing my thyroid meds ....my thyroid crashed recently and I was hospitalized for weeks.....I am on a higher dose now and chew my thyroid pills to try to help absorption...GET your thyroid checked......ASAP......it can be deadly if you let it go low for too long....

from maine

Hi

I had an ileostomy for almost a year. I took biotin because in that short time I was losing hair. Also, my nails were breaking easily. I now have a colostomy and no more of those problems. Hope that helped a little.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vollovr

I have an ileostomy with no colon and much of my small bowel gone. I take a quality liquid multivitamin which absorbs easily. It works great because I can feel the difference when I don't take it.

kbd

I take chewable vitamins whenever possible. Anything that takes a while to dissolve is probably useless.