Protecting Mattress

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

I'm still in the hospital after emergency surgery a week ago.

What products have ostomy folks used to protect their bedding from unexpected leaks? Thank you for any recommendations.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Hello dski46. I have a mattress pad that supposedly prevents leaks. What I did was bought a shower curtain, which you can get from the dollar store. I put it under my fitted sheet, then I bought disposable pads and put them over the fitted sheet. So when you go to bed, you're laying on the disposable pad. If you should have an accident, just dispose of the pad. Most likely it won't make it through the sheet. If somehow the leak is that bad, the shower curtain is there. Hope this helps. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Good luck! ;Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

Walmart sells a bed cover that you can put on your bed to prevent leaks from making it to your bed. It's just like the ones you put on a baby bed. They don't make as much sound as you would think. I had bought two of them, so when one needed washing, I had the other to put on. I have a queen-size bed. They were about 40 bucks, I think. Don't quote me, but close.

The only problem with them is that after you wash them a couple of times, the dryer destroys the plastic. So just hang dry them, they will last longer.

xnine

For when I travel, I use something I made. I use a king-size pillowcase. I cut a piece of mattress pad and a sheet of plastic to match the pillowcase, then pin them together and insert them into the pillowcase. Use it plastic side down. At home, I use a sheet protector under the fitted sheet.

Penguins7

I purchased some disposable pads from Medical Supply (Vitality Medical) that work really well while staying at friends or even for hotels. Penguins7

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister