Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

Irrigation

Posted by Shitt Happens, on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Good day,

I'm a new member today and i speak french from Québec, Canada, i will try to explain my question the best that i can.

I would like to exchange with other people who practice the irrigation of their stoma. I do my irrigation every day for almost 6 months now and I have many questions on how to do, the duration, the frequency, should we always schedule at the same time ... ect ... and on the feeding as well as on the equipment they use (collars and bags) as we have few saddles when practicing irrigation

Merci

Danielle Smile

Reply by Bill, on Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:57 am

Hello Danielle. Thank you for your post as it poses some interesting questions. The first point that I would make is that if you have been irrigating for 6 months, then you probably know as much about it as most of us. However, in the interests of sharing, I would say that I have tried all sorts of different approaches to irrigation and have come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong way to approach the matter. It's just a question of experimenting until we find the right solution for each of us as individuals. Personally, I irrigate every evening and the reasoning for this is:

a) I tried leaving it for as long as possible to see if I could get away with 2 days but I found it only lasted for about 30 hours, which meant I needed a bag midday on the second day. (not convenient!)  

b)  My system is slow, so the process takes me over two hours to complete and even then I am likely to get output some time later. Thus, it is best for me to do it in the evening so that there is plenty of time to finish before retiring to bed.  

c) I used to use the time productively,  by sitting on the loo and writing, But recently I have found that by getting up and walking around with the sleeve pinned up like a big bag, the process is much more quick and efficient. ( but I'm not getting so much writing done!)  

d) I usually wear a bag at nights in case there is output. However, when I am having pains in my bowels, it is a sign that there is still some output to come and I leave the sleeve on overnight because the output is likely to be too much for a bag.

e) I had lots of problems with sleeves not staying stuck to my skin whilst irrigating, which can be really messy! So, I made my own baseplates with two safety belts and stick the sleeves to those. Since then, I have have no problems.

There are a number of past discussions about irrigation in the 'CONTENTS' section under 'Premium Content' and 'Irrigation', which I would encourge you to read, as there are lots of tips and information from other past members which is still relevant today.

Best wishes

Bill  

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:55 am

hello and welcome to the site, if you have started irrigation then you have taken the most important step to controling your ostomy instead of it controling you! i have been irrigating for several years and can tell you diet is the next logical step to lengthen your time between irrigations. i suggest a high protien low fiber diet. if you adapt well to this you should be able to go 2days comfortably between sessions. if i can be of any help just message me. good luck. mmsh

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:46 pm
Thank you very much Bill, your comment will surely be useful to me, like to wear the belt and the bag at night because I try not to use bags, I wear rather a big piece of cotton and a mecical slap like on the photo that I you have joined.
I do not use the big bag sleeve, because when I finished to introduce the water I have like 1 minute and it starts to go out so I kneel in front of the toilet and it comes out directly, after 20- 30 minutes is over but as you say I'm likely to receive output after an hour or so I'll try the belt like you. Do you have a photo of your invention just the belts and the bag to give me an idea how I could try to do the same. thank you again for your kind words.
Regards
Danielle
Reply by Shitt Happens, on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:56 pm
Bill, i can not go on the ''Premium Contents''since i'm only a free members .

PS sorry for my english writing since i speak et write french from Quebec, Canada.
Reply by Shitt Happens, on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Thank you mild, you are wright, i have to learn what  to eat to control my irrigation and i do not know where to begin SadSad but like you said ''eat protein'' . 
If you other tips for me to not to have output after my irrigation ,please feel free to let me know.

Thank You

Danielle

Reply by Bill, on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:19 am

Hello Danielle. I too am only a 'free-member' and I can get into 'Premium Content' - so it should not be a problem for you and your english is a LOT  BETTER THAN MY FRENCH!.

If you want to have a look at the belts and bags I use, then click on my photo or name on any of these posts and it will take you into my profile. In there, at the top of the page you will find 'View photos', where there is a picture of those particualer gadgets that I recently posted for someone else. These are just a couple in a long-line of gadgets I have produced to try to produce something that is most comfortable and functional for me to use. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all for people with stomas, as we all have slightly different needs. It would not be feasible or profitable for manufacturers to be making bespoke stuff to fit each one of us, so that leaves it up to us to make it for ourselves. Good luck in your irrigation. 

Best wiszhes

Bill

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 am

Good day Bill , look what i copy-paste in the section: Premium Content: It'a wrinting: we have to be full menber to see all Post and the answer:(  ...Is it something i do wrong?

Reply by Bill, on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Hello Danielle. Premium content is not different to the latest blogs and forum topic, except that they have been posted in the past. You should be able to open up whatever posts you fancy, simply by clicking on the titles. You can then read everything you wish and make comments in the last entry box just as you would if it was a recent post. If you are not a paid member, you will not be able to send individual personal messages but it will not stop you making conversations in the open forums or blogs.  Personally, I prefer to communicate this way because then everybody gets to read it as compared with personal messaging where only the recipient will get a copy. Paid up members can message you and you can reply to that message but you cannot send the messages yourself as an unpaid member. If you do a lot of communicating on the forums, you may be given free membership for the month - as a high volume contributor) In which case you can message people for that month.

I hope this makes things a little clearer for you on this matter.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Google translation..loll

Hello to all those who do their daily irrigation. I would like to see on photos if possible what you buy for your irrigation and what you wear around your stoma after your irrigation.

And the night what protection do you invent say for surprises pooh ... lolll

It would help me a lot to feel more confident at work at home at night so everywhere anywhere..loll

Thank you very much for sharing with me Smile
Danielle
Quebec Canada

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 am
Shitt Happens wrote:

I wish i could chat with this getlemen, someone told me he  knows a lot with irrigation ,

he's name is: JohnScorsby

Merci!

Danielle

Google translation..loll

Hello to all those who do their daily irrigation. I would like to see on photos if possible what you buy for your irrigation and what you wear around your stoma after your irrigation.

And the night what protection do you invent say for surprises pooh ... lolll

It would help me a lot to feel more confident at work at home at night so everywhere anywhere..loll

Thank you very much for sharing with me Smile
Danielle
Quebec Canada

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Good day IRRIGATOR....lollllllll

What do you use for Ostomy lubricant gel please?

Not to expensive if possible:(

Reply by Linda31, on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 pm

I have been irrigating for about a year with good success, however am having to use more and more water to obtain results.  Any ideas why and is it a concern?  I start with 1.5 liters but find i have to use additional 1.5 to get results.

Reply by Bill, on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 am

Hello Linda31. I never could get on with just 1.5 ltrs so I've been using 3 ltrs for a long time and it doesn't seem to cause me any more problems than 1.5ltrs did. Bearing in mind that I lose a lot of it in splashback because I use an anal catheta rather than  a cone.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by Bill, on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 am

Hello Shit Happens.  I use Aquagel by Ecolab. I have no idea how much it costs as I get it on a NHS prescription.

Best wishes

Bill

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.