Looking for Colostomy Reversal Experiences in Ireland

Replies
Views
richie60

Hi.

I am interested in hearing from people in Ireland who had colostomy reversal surgery. Thanks.

dandare

Hi there Richie, it's been a few years now but I had a colostomy reversal in Sligo and thank heavens, I've not looked back. I do have colitis now but managing with medication now. Shout back if there's anything you want to know and I'll be happy to reply. You've come to the right place here for advice. I've met some amazing folk here and thanks to them they've kept me sane throughout the whole thing. Take care for now, Colm

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

richie60

Thanks Dandare for your response. Did you have any difficulties after the reversal with regards to frequency? I've heard that some people can experience going to the toilet up to 10 times a day afterwards.

Thanks again.

dandare

It took a few days for things to settle down, but I never had a problem with that frequency....maybe four or five times a day. I just slowly increased my meal size and introduced foods I had problems with earlier. Stay positive and try not to rush things too much as you recover. That would be my advice.

richie60

That's brilliant Colm....thanks for that. I spoke with my consultant today (as I nearly cancelled my surgery which is scheduled for Tuesday) and he more or less said the same as you. I really appreciate the feedback and thanks again for taking the time to answer. I feel much better about it now!!

Rgds

Richie

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bowelbeingagowl

Hey Richie,

I hope the surgery went well and that you are recovering.

I am debating whether I want to have my ileostomy reversed at the moment (leaning more towards a yes).

However, I have the usual fear that most people have. I don't want to end up living in a bathroom again. My surgeon said most people can expect to get down to 5 or 6 small bowel movements a day (perhaps one at night) if the reversal goes well. As long as I had continence, I wouldn't mind a few toilet trips if it meant no stoma.

Any insight you have on your own experience would be much appreciated.

Adrian - it sounds like you have been through the ringer. To have one diagnosis, getting the medication and surgery to tackle it only to find out that you had to go back on medication because you had Crohn's must have been a blow. I hope you remain well with as little medication as you can for as long as you can. There was a tiny bit of doubt as to whether I had ulcerative colitis or Crohn's initially, but they decided it was colitis. I hope they don't change their mind after.