Passing gas without a colostomy bag?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and advice on managing gas without a colostomy bag.
currentsitguy

I'm about a month and a half out from having a temporary colostomy due to really severe diverticulitis. I'm told I'll be this way for about 6 months to a year. Anyways, I am finding that occasionally I pass gas the "normal" way. If I am not hooked up to anything down there at the moment, how is this happening?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Sasquatch

I had this happen to me a couple of times, maybe two weeks after surgery. I'm not sure how it happens, but I know that it can. It could have something to do with how much colon you have left, but I don't know that for sure.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
MagicFlute14

Don't worry. That is something that can happen. Even at some point, you will feel like something is coming out, mostly mucus. It is a normal thing. Your stomach, even not connected to the rest of the colon, keeps producing a substance to keep the intestine in shape. If what you get is painful and with blood, then go to the emergency room right away! If it is just gas or mucus, don't worry.

currentsitguy

Yeah, no pain whatsoever. Just plain old gas. This may sound strange but it felt reassuringly "normal".

weewee

Yeah, it's normal. It still happens because you move around and the nerves still work. So, once in a while, you can build up enough air to make a fart. I laugh when it happens to me since it's been 9 years for me since I was given my friend.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
currentsitguy

Thanks for the reassurance. It really did concern me. I suppose I know less anatomy and why things work than I thought!

On a side note, going to be out in your neck of the woods in about a month. We're property shopping in Clark, WY just south of Belfry, MT.

weewee

That is awesome. I know the place. It's about 80 miles south of me. I am not a member, so if you are, send me a message and I can return an answer to you with how to contact me.