Meet and talk to 20,076 OstoMates

Irrigation Verses Pouches

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm

i have had a heck of a time with pouches. I have tried several different companies products and am totally disgusted that none of these products are reliable. One pouch I get 8 says out of it and the next one may not make it but one to three days! I need better than this to live an active life and right now feel a prisoner in my home due to this. My output is very liquid so it seems I am covered in poop a lot! Lol I have ordered the irrigation kit and was told by my doctor it may fit my life better. I understand that you irrigate every day or every two days to train your colon and do not have to wear a pouch, just something to cover for drainage if there is any. I am interested in hearing any advise in this adventure. Will try this when my equipment comes in! 

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 pm

yes, i agree with your doctor irrigation will give you back control of your life. i have been irrigating for years and it works well for me. itsa pretty basic routine, you put thewater in and wait for it to return, it takes about an hour. after that hour you may should be "clear" that day and the next. diet will play into the amount of time between irrigations. eat a low residue diet, high in protien and LOW in fiber for longest "clear" time. if you need any help i`d be glad to help you. regards. mmsh

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 am

I am a firm believer in irrigation, if you can do it. For me it's a regular evening activity as I can only go for about 30 hours without output, which would mean breaking the cycle midday and that seems to defeat the object of the exercise. Like most things stoma-related, irrigation takes some getting used to but I have found it is well worth it for the peace of mind that I won't have output during the day and I therefore don't have to faff about with bags/pouches or whatever you want to call them. I also no long feel the need to carry supplies or look for every available toilet en route. My life is back to relative 'normal' until the next irrigation session. I eat whatever I like, which (as MMSH says) is probably why I cannot go for 2 days without output, but that's my choice!

I hope you give it a try and feel the benefits

Best wishes

Bill 

Past Member
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 am

Irrigation saved my life!  I could never get the skin barriers to stick right.  They kept coming loose.  I was about to lose it when I discovered irrigation.  When you do that, they don't need to stick all that well because there is no output once your colon is trained.  Once you get irrigation down, you almost feel normal again.  Go for it!

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 am

Google translation french(Canada) to english...lolllll

Hello Puppyluv 56,

It's really worth learning how to do a good irrigation, it's about an hour in a day of 24 hours, when I think I spent several hours cleaning my bags every frangin day . I will never return with bags if it is possible believe me. The most important thing is tell yourself that  you can do it ♥  and take your time, it's really worth it. Good luck!t'

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:00 pm
mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:

yes, i agree with your doctor irrigation will give you back control of your life. i have been irrigating for years and it works well for me. itsa pretty basic routine, you put thewater in and wait for it to return, it takes about an hour. after that hour you may should be "clear" that day and the next. diet will play into the amount of time between irrigations. eat a low residue diet, high in protien and LOW in fiber for longest "clear" time. if you need any help i`d be glad to help you. regards. mmsh

Can you write me a typical day of what you eat in a day so you do not have a lot of residue?

Many thanks Smile

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Shitt Happens wrote:

Can you write me a typical day of what you eat in a day so you do not have a lot of residue?

Many thanks Smile

breakfast: bacon/sausage and eggs

dinner:  meat and cheese , atkins candy bar   {atkins is a low carbohydrate diet and these are sold at my wal-mart}

supper: small salad with lettuce, cucumber and green onion  main course meat or fish

things to AVOID : bread, pasta, bulky veggies, fiberous fruits

note: men tend to do well on atkins but women not so good.... since humans are carnivores your body is designed to run on protien, once you get used to it you will do fine but be advised that giving up bread and pasta is rather challenging. i find that gas is almost totally eliminated once you cut out the bread/cereal/pasta. atkins must be suplemented with a daily vitamin, preferably without iron. i also avoid caffeine. develop the habit of checking fiber content of foods, fiber in the diet is intended for people with normal colons to keep everything moving... it has no nutrishinal value nor vitamine content. remember i am not a doctor, this is just what works for me based on trial and error experience. sorry for the typos but its been a long time since i was in school and my spelling was never great even back then. regards mmsh

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:34 pm
mild_mannered_super_hero wrote:
Shitt Happens wrote:
Mild, I'm all mixed now, I thought that eating white bread and white pasta gave solid residue and you say: things to avoid: bread, pasta, and I did not know that the bread was giving gas (me who does My own bread Sad Sad) Besides, it's the 2 things I love to eat, so I have to reconsider what I put on my plate and you ate salad, I thought it gave diarrhea or at least more liquid residues ... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP .................. lollllllllllll

Many thanks Smile

breakfast: bacon/sausage and eggs

dinner:  meat and cheese , atkins candy bar   {atkins is a low carbohydrate diet and these are sold at my wal-mart}

supper: small salad with lettuce, cucumber and green onion  main course meat or fish

things to AVOID : bread, pasta, bulky veggies, fiberous fruits

note: men tend to do well on atkins but women not so good.... since humans are carnivores your body is designed to run on protien, once you get used to it you will do fine but be advised that giving up bread and pasta is rather challenging. i find that gas is almost totally eliminated once you cut out the bread/cereal/pasta. atkins must be suplemented with a daily vitamin, preferably without iron. i also avoid caffeine. develop the habit of checking fiber content of foods, fiber in the diet is intended for people with normal colons to keep everything moving... it has no nutrishinal value nor vitamine content. remember i am not a doctor, this is just what works for me based on trial and error experience. sorry for the typos but its been a long time since i was in school and my spelling was never great even back then. regards mmsh

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Mmsh, That sounds like a healthy diet! I have gone on the Atkins diet before and found it easier than most! A High Carb diet is definitely bad causing gas and liquid stool which I struggle with. My Doctor did say to take a half of an Imodium but then the stool was like sludge and would not drop in the pouch but go under the wafer for a big leak! Wish I had instant solid stool!  Diet is going to be the only way out of it! Once I start irrigating, it won’t matter as much! 

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Thank you for the encouragement! What do you put over you stoma? Anything?

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:01 pm

I feel like my stoma is a full time babysitting job! My pouch fills with gas or poop so I am always in the bathroom. I am not scared of irrigation and my son had a tracheotomy when was young so experienced in some aspect of irrigation! Being in Oncology also helps! Bring it on! ! So ready to start cruising without fear again! 

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks Bill, I was also thinking about evening time just because of the time constraints of having an early morning appointment or activity scheduled! Once I get my supplies, I may be asking for advise from all of those that irrigate!

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

i use hollister 1796, its a stick on cap with a tiny resivoir...it lays very flat and helps when you are wearing light weight summer clothes. i suggest you request a few as samples from them before you start irrigating, the tiny size will encourage you ! good luck

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 am
Puppyluv56 wrote:

I use a Coloplast stoma plug- mostly because I find it helps with keeping the hole from closing over and it stops the noise from farting! which I do a lot of.

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks Bill! I just asked them for samples of their stoma caps, will have to call back to get a sample of this as well! 

Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.