Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,313 members

Irrigation verses pouches

Posted by Puppyluv56, on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:45 am

I have ordered samples from Hollister and Coloplast! Also looking into the plug that Bill suggested and emailed My Coloplast agent for a sample too!  You guys are great! Thanks!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Well I just heard back from Coloplast and was told that the Ostomy plug was not sold in the USA but a European product!! WTH! Lol oh well, it sounded good! 

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Puppyluv56, same here in Quebec, Canada no compagny do not want to send even a sample mini-cap without a plug ( because  it cost beetwin 2:50$ & 4.00$ each mini-cap...so once a day or 2 , it's a lot of money).....they plug only in Europe....lollll Even B. Braun do not sale in Canada there electric machine for irrigation: IryPump® S Set Irrigation by electric pump - B. Braun  ...i presume they think will have s SHOCK because of the price...lollll

Have a nice evening!Smile

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Shitt Happens, Wow. I do not have any problem getting samples from anywhere. They have been very accommodating. I keep changing product and trying lots of different styles and makers so I guess it is worth it to them to send a sample if they get my business where insurance pays a really high price for these supplies! I have some sleeves, caps from 2 places, a belt and 2 piece bags on the way. I have receive strips, bags, adhesive remover wipes, barrier wipes, deodorizer oil, all as samples and have ordered more of most of what I have received so it really is beneficial for them to send the samples! It is a shame you are limited in Canada. Do you have access to an Ostomy Care Nurse at your local hospital? They can sometimes help.

Puppyluv

Reply by Bill, on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 am

Hello Shit Happens and Puppyluv.  Sorry to hear that you cannot get these things in north America. It's not often that Europe do stuff that the US doesn't - it's usually the other way around. I'd like to inform you, that I have made my own alternatives to plugs and irrigation machines, so if you are handy with DIY there is no reason why you could not try these out for yourselves. The irrigation machine is simply a pressurised water system and I have used a garden sprayer to good effect and now use a battery operated portable camping shower, which I ordered from the US. online. The plug is made of an old nasal spray drilled in the end and sides, with a baseplate which fits on the screw end. I cut the inside section out because it is not needed.

There is often a solution to most problems - if we don't reply entirely on manufacturers.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Bill, yep the FDA approval of anything is a slow process! Thanks for the alternative but pretty sure I am not proficient in making my own stuff! 

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Puppyluv,

I thing i did not explain correctly on my last e-mail , yes i  did received a lot of stuff from compagnies ( same stuff)  like you did, but when it's an expensive  stuff i'm not sure they willing to send.. Yes my stomo at the hospital gave me 1 gel 1 belt 3 sleeves  and 5 mini caps but like she says: she is a stomo since 10 years but she never did irrigation at someone ...i'm doing mine  since 5 months now...i thing i'm better then her now....lolllllll

Reply by Shitt Happens, on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Bill, can we see on photos your invention so i can try my own please?

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Shitt Happens, I gotcha! That is understandable! I can see their point! Send samples for the reordering and cheap stuff! Lol thankfully insurance pays for everything for me. Have found no  limits to what I have ordered and I keep changing up things! Lol

Reply by Bill, on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 am

Hello Shit Happens. There is a shot of the pressurised system on my profile and, as soon as I get the time, I'll put one on of the DIY plug.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by Dandy Dan, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:22 am

i am relatively new at this (DEC 2017) but i seem to have regular days when my bag fills and then when i dont want it too.like when i go on a trip..What do i buy in the way of supplies to try this irrigation thing.Is it a baster like thing you use or what??i want to try this.

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am

Dandy Dan, I have had my friend just since April and pouches have not been kind to me when I needed them most! Luckily I have not had a total bust in a public place or with friends. Several times in the car on a trip or around town. Started to use the Y shape adhesive strips on both sides of the pouch for full coverage and you can see a leak coming before it breaks the pouch adheasive and the strips. I have not started irrigating yet but my supplies is on the way. I use Edgepark for all my supplies because they file to my insurance. On my first order they sent me a catalog of all supplies they carry for all makers so I ordered a complete kit with everything I need, I hope! I always call my orders I  verses online because the reps are very helpful in making sure I have everything I need. I have also requested samples from other companies of the Stoma cap to wear in case of leakage after irrigating and a sample sleeve. I hope I am prepared when I get my kit in! This will be life changing!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:57 am

Mmsh. I ordered and received the Stoma caps you suggested!I cannot wait for my kit to arrive so I can start this! The caps look to be very small and liberating. I hate the big, long, wide pouch that I currently have to make room for in my clothing! Will keep you posted and more suggestions as I progress inirrigating!

Thanks,

Puppyluv

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Great,I buy those from mega medical since my Medicare won’t pay for caps. They are the cheapest place I’ve found. Good luck

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:11 pm

What kind of Medicare do you have? An Advantage plan?  They do not pay for them! That is crazy! I have insurance thru BCBS from my Husband’s company and my Medicare starts Oct1 but my BCBS will be primary until I turn 65 or My Husband retires but he is 5 years younger then me so I am guessing he will not retire. My BCBS has not denied me anything! They are great! Scares me when I turn 65, I plan to drop the BCBS and pick up AARP Supplemental plan. It will cost a lot less but if they are not going to pay for certain things I now need, I may have to rethink that.

Thanks for the heads up so now I will be checking on that prior to any changes!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.