Salad causing loose output - normal or concerning?

Replies
Views
freedancer

Do you folks out there in ostomy land have issues with salad? Is it normal for the pouch discharge to be loose when you eat lettuce, spinach or avocado and other fresh vegetables? I did not get a blockage from the salad greens but the output was pretty loose. It sure was nice to be able to eat a salad though. Thanks guys!

Bill

Hello Freedancer. Being a vegetarian, I eat salads regularly and have never had any problems with the veg's that you mention. However, there are things I avoid because I don't like them much or they don't like me! cucumber and onions are a couple of things in that bracket.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dadnabbit

Freedancer, yes, output is usually loose from salads. It has to do with the water content in most fruits and veggies. There are those, however, that can cause blockage issues or thicken output. Fruits and veggies with seeds or thick skins (apples, grapes, berries, pineapples, even tomato skins, potato skins, and corn and spinach) can cause issues just like nuts if you have many adhesions or strictures or scar tissue. The smaller the passage, the more likely the problem. I have also found that the output is quicker to happen when I enjoy a salad. Just be aware and you should be fine.

Peace

vollovr

Freedancer, my gastro doc said iceberg lettuce was fine in passing through because it is mostly water. Okay for tomatoes without skin, very thinly sliced seedless cucumbers.

annofsd

I used to have lots of trouble with almost everything I ate. Then I started taking a loperamide (Imodium) pill with each meal. That works for me, but may not be necessary for you. The other thing I learned is that butter and oil cause problems, so now I don't put dressing on salads and I also ask for my food to be cooked without butter or oil.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Donnaj

I was advised not to eat lettuce

Silveradokid

Masticate - and all will be fine...

Past Member

I have the same problem. I have a 2 1/2 year old colostomy, and have heard that one's bowels are never the same after bowel surgery. Boy, does that ever ring true for me! I find that too much fiber (I was a big fan of fiber before my surgery) goes right through me, and it could happen at any time, so it was difficult to be able to plan anything. I love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, especially in the summer when they taste so good. So, I have experimented with Imodium. I find that a balance of fiber and Imodium works. You might have to experiment with how much Imodium works for you. For me, too much Imodium (6 - 8/day) makes me so groggy I can hardly function. Masticating your food won't help. All that does is break the food into smaller particles, which makes it easier to digest. Well, your body is telling you that digestion isn't the problem! Slowing down the digestion is what you need, and that is exactly what Imodium does. Good luck. Let us know if this works for you.

Little Red

I have had my colostomy for 1 1/2 years now. I eat what I want, but stay away from nuts, seeds, and corn. Lettuce is not a problem (Iceberg). I am on Warfarin and Vitamin K is a no-no (most green veggies). My problem was not loose stools. My ostomy RN told me to take a stool softener 2xs a day. It is just learning what thickens and what thins, LOL. Also, make sure you chew your food well. And I am sure you know to drink lots of fluids. Good luck.

patrickn

Stay away from Boston or Red Lettuce, my experience, Iceberg Lettuce is never a problem. Spinach binds like a root, terrible. Always try things one at a time. Put your usual two or three salad ingredients in, add a new one, and drink that water. We all know water is the key. Once I went on a cruise, didn't recognize a lot of the buffet, awesome eating, awesome problems, too many unknowns at once. Have an awesome time exploring.

freedancer

Thank you!! So far, the only partial blockage I have had with New Maxine is cooked carrots. For some reason, they did not do well.

petgirl

I have an ileostomy, and I notice for me, that iceberg moves very quickly and produces loose stool. I generally prefer heartier greens, such as spinach, romaine, kale, etc. I have no issues in terms of restrictions. I eat whatever I like, and all the same foods as I did many, many moons ago - pre-ostomy disease. The biggest change was discovering the hard way that I have to slice oranges rather than just peel and eat.

For me, it was just about learning how certain foods digest. Some things I simply won't eat unless I am in the comfort of my own home.