Possible Constipation or Other Issue?

Replies
Views
Little Red

I woke up this morning with pain on the right side of my ostomy (left-sided ostomy) with some swelling, low output, very little and in a stream-looking stool. Could I be constipated or maybe something else going on? I have never had this problem before. I did have quite a bit of pasta salad yesterday. Could this cause the problem?

dadnabbit

Little Red,

Depending on just what was in your pasta salad, and how well you chewed your food, very little liquid output could be signs of blockage. Salad tends to loosen stool, but pasta generally helps to thicken it. If you are feeling any nausea, vomiting or feeling feverish, or have pain you should consider a trip to the ER. I always try a hot cup of something (tea for me) like hot chocolate etc first, with gentle massaging my belly and walking around to help move things along. BUT if you are 6-8 hours with pain, vomiting, nausea, and very little output seek medical help, as it does not take very long to kill the intestines from a blockage so it's not something to fool around with if you have a serious belief a blockage could be the problem.

Peace

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Little Red

Thanks Dadnabbit, I am new to this. I have had my ostomy for a little over a year and a half. I never had this problem before. I have always had some swelling. My surgeon said it is nothing to worry about. The pain has subsided and there is some (small) soft stool. I did take a stool softener and I am drinking some hot coffee. The right-sided pain is gone. I will try walking around and see if that helps. I am due for a pouch change today, so if there is no more pain and soft stool, I will not go to an ER but may call my stoma Nurse.

dadnabbit

Glad to hear it is coming under control. None of us ever looks forward to that visit to the ER. There are usually things we ourselves can do to alleviate the possibilities, so I always try to go through the trial and error before going into panic mode. It is truly amazing just what can affect our digestive systems, like mood, attitude, food and drink, as well as meds and supplements. That old saying "stress kills" is very true. Be well.

Peace

Little Red

I went to the ER and was admitted to the hospital. CT was done. ER Dr. said he thought I had a stoma hernia and worried about strangulation. NG tube was placed in my stomach and was told if this didn't work, I was looking at surgery. Well, the hospitalist came to see me and said there was no problem. I may have had constipation, etc. This afternoon, after x-rays, she found nothing. She discharged me, sent me home, and said to see my GP doc. I have no pain. Stoma is pink and looks good and working fine. So hopefully it was a false alarm.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dadnabbit

Little Red, sorry to see you had to visit the ER, but glad it did not require surgery. The worst part of these kinds of situations is the total lack of an unmistakable reason for the issue. I'm not sure why an NG tube was used for a hernia or how it would prevent strangulation, but I am not medical personnel and maybe someone else here would be better able to explain that reasoning. I have three hernias, none of which cause anything more than a ridiculous huge bulge looking like I swallowed a soccer ball. That one has three pieces of small intestine stuck inside my stomach. The one under my stoma causes no real issues at all, and the one to the left of my "soccer" ball sometimes causes pain, so that one is my biggest "PITA" (Pain in the A**). As far as my PCP is concerned, she worries about the one with three loops of small intestine in my stomach (the soccer ball). That one was here immediately after surgery 4 years ago, and the surgeon insisted it was NOT a hernia. A CT scan that my PCP insisted on proved him wrong AGAIN, and that was the last time he and I spoke. EVER. The best advice for hernias is to do your best to avoid them, as once they appear, even after being "fixed," the odds are they will recur, just causing more scar tissue. It is surprising how much simple things weigh, so be aware. Even a gallon of milk weighs 9 pounds! Hernia belts can sometimes help with those things. Keep your chin up and BE WELL

Peace

Little Red

Thanks Dadnabbit for your concern, I have no idea why the NG tube. You know these doctors, we don't get much information from them. The Hospitalist did an X-ray and then a residugidal from the NG tube and said all was ok, even the labs, and I was sent home on a soft diet for a couple of days. I am going to my PCP on Tuesday and will see what he has to say. I am also being measured by his RN for a Stoma/Hernia Belt. I think I just ate too much pasta salad the past few days while on vacation and plugged myself up. It is now no problem. In fact, my stoma never did stop working. LOL. Will post after my Dr visit on Tuesday. And I also am going to become a paid member here on this site. I love it.

Little Red

Hi all, well all is looking good here on my end now. I did go for my INR lab test and all is good there. My Dr's RN measured me for a stoma/hernia belt and I ordered it today. Hopefully Medicare will cover the cost as they can be expensive. I use Edgepark for my supplies. So far they have been good. Also a 40% discount if Medicare doesn't cover the belt. I will try this one and if it works, will order another. I am off the soft food diet as of today and will slowly get back to my regular diet (eating what I want). Oh, what fun it is.

dadnabbit

Little Red, glad to hear you are feeling better and things are looking up. It's amazing what just a little bit of knowledge can do for our psyche. Be well and enjoy eating!!!

Peace

Little Red

No pizza yet but that is in my future. Tonight just chicken and baked potatoes and a nice fruit salad.

Mrs.A

Nice to read through this thread and learn that all is well. Chicken and a baked patato sound good to me!

Little Red

Thanks everyone for your concern, so far so good. All appears to be normal if you can say what we have is normal. My ostomy seems to be working okay, and is a dark pink in color. I do have an umbilical hernia but have a stoma/hernia belt on order. Should be coming any day now. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Little Red

Hi all, just a short note to say all is well so far and I went to lunch today with a friend and had pizza LOL.

Puppyluv56

So glad all has worked out for you and you got your pizza! Not my favorite food but I did eat spaghetti noodles tonight in lemon garlic butter mixed in with sautéed zucchini and spinach with seared scallops on top! OMG YUMMY! Hope it all sits well on me but haven't had too many things bother me!

Puppyluv

Little Red

Puppyluv, yours sounds better than mine, but I am also on Warfarin and anything green (Vitamin K) is off my diet. I have developed an umbilical hernia. I have also had 2 repaired in the past year. I have ordered a Stoma/hernia belt and it has been 3 weeks since ordering. I don't know when it will come. My supplier said it could be another week as it was a special order. I am bummed out about the delay. I could have used it yesterday. Does anyone else have this problem with their suppliers?

Puppyluv56

Little Red,

I have no issues with Edgepark. I was told the first order would take a long time, but they got my supplies to me in like two days! I was impressed! They are great! I call all my orders in, so they help with my selection and let me know if additional stuff that I will need, but I have never ordered anything special that had to be made for me.

I was told hernias were to be expected, but I just had my surgery on April 25th, so no problems so far. I am lucky to be able to eat anything, even though there are repercussions to some things, mostly gas, but I am trying to irrigate and eating fiber sure defeats the purpose. Hope your supplies come soon! With the hurricane here, I am not sure we will even get mail! Lol just getting light rain and a little wind so far, but it is just on shore in SC and we are 150 miles inland! With the speed it is traveling, it will be around for two weeks! Lol

Have a great day!

Puppyluv

Little Red

I also use Edgepark, and call in my order. I have never had a problem. They have been very helpful so far. But it does take 4 or 5 days for my order to come, so I make sure I don't let my supplies get too low before ordering. Still have not received my belt and it has been over 2 weeks.