Best wafer for small, flush stoma? Need recommendations!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the best wafer options for small, flush stomas and seeks recommendations from the community.
KathyMac423

Hi! I need some advice!

I have a very small stoma (under 7/8) and it's flush to my body. I'm having a terrible time with leakage! I'm presently using Coloplast's

Sensura Mio Deep convex 70mm flange wafer. It's the best one so far but it's huge!! I'm short waisted and it's very uncomfortable! I just want a smaller

overall set up. I just tried Convatec's Moldable wafer and it leaked when I went to bed! :(

Does anyone out there have any recommendations? I would sooooo appreciate it!!!

Thanks,

Kathy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

Hi KathyMac,

I have a very small stoma that is flush. I had a terrible time with leakage and those terrible burns that go along with it. I had to start using a convex also. I use the one piece. I put a thick ring of the paste stick around the wafer plus the Brava mouldable ring. This causes your stoma to protrude more. This has really helped with me. Make sure you press it on for sixty seconds before bending. Hope this helps.

Rebecca

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
KathyMac423

Thanks, Rebecca!! I thought I needed the paste!

Kathy

NSeastcoast

Hi, I have used a CovaTec wafer 125270 pre-cut 7/8 for about 15 years, two-piece system, play hockey and various sports with no issues. The trick is to use a Hollister 1 belt with it when clothing allows, it makes for a much longer wear time.

Hope this helps.

Penguins7

Hi Kathy, I have used the Coloplast 11124 wafer since my surgery 5 years ago. I change it out every day and have had only 1 leak. Have you tried the Coloplast thin wax rings that go around the stoma? The moldable didn't work for me either. Good luck and stay well. Penguins7

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Immarsh

Hi, I've been using the moldable Convatec / Convex for a long time. But my has dips, and my stoma contracts, and pulls in, and under, below flush with the skin. (It's 55 years old.... not me... I'm 70) and I was told to avoid surgery for as long as possible. So I've learned to "play around with supplies". I find that weather often determines the seal on the moldable wafer. It needs time to "set", so I'm careful not to bend or sit... right after changing. That never used to be an issue.... but it is now. I also use Eakin seal (thin/ or reg) and cut it in half so it fills in the dip in my belly below the stoma. Sometimes, I get a week of wear, including showers and going in the pool, and other times, it leaks in a few hours. It also has a lot to do with the consistency of the output (when I first change). Thin and watery is often more acidic, and it sometimes smells like "bile". That's a clue that 1) I'm dehydrated 2) I'll probably have a leak. So remember to drink a lot of water...... It's really important, especially when you don't have a large intestine. As frustrating as it is.... trial and error is still the way to go... until you find what works for you. Marsha

KathyMac423

Thanks! I'll check that one out!

KathyMac423

Thanks, Marsha! I appreciate the advice!!

Shitt Happens

Hi Cathy,

Before I start my irrigation, I even took my hair dryer for 30 seconds around my wafer. It really sticks better :)

KathyMac423

Great idea! Thanks!

Skipper69

I had the same problem, but after like 6 weeks the swelling should be down and whatever you cut the wafer at should be your permanent size and you can get them already cut for you and the wafer comes in a cone form that goes around the stoma. I've done that and rarely have any leaks, and I've had a bag for about 15 years. I use Edgepark for my supplies. Good luck and just look into it, you'll feel more confident going out and doing things. Good luck with everything.

KathyMac423

Hi, thanks for the info! Can you tell me who makes the "cone" wafer?

Kathy

Skipper69

Hi Kathy, I go through Edge Park Supplies but I'm guessing McKesson would do this as well. Cut your water to God. Call Edge Park or wherever you get your supplies and see if they could precut your bags for you. Try ConvaTec 12" Activelife Convex Drainable Pouches with Durahesive Skin Barrier. If you have a supple book, look for that, then call and they can help you from there. Good luck to you. Bob

Skipper69

Hi Kathy, I go through Edge Park Supplies but I'm guessing McKesson would do this as well. Cut your water to god. Call Edge Park or wherever you get your supplies and see if they could precut your bags for you. Try ConvaTec 12" Activelife Convex Drainable Pouches with Durahesive Skin Barrier. If you have a supple book, look for that then call and they can help you from there. Good luck to you. Bob

freedancer

Hi, mine is very small and flush as well. I use the Hollister two-piece convex wafer. I have had no issues with leaking so far. It can be gotten in a straight 7/8 opening which gives you that little bit of space around it. It fits nicely.

Southern161

Hi KathyMac423,

I've had my ostomy for a little over 9 months with no leakage. I talked to just about all the ostomy nurses there to get their point of view on things. I have used Hollister from the beginning and never had any problems. I use Hollister New Image #14102 Flange. Hollister #18182 pouch. I also wear a belt #7300 to keep everything close to my body so it has less of a chance to snag on anything. I wear one of those elastic wraps to put the pouch in, they are about $25. Hope this helps you.

Southern161

beyondpar

Hi Kathy, a few things to note. Less is more when it comes to a good wafer seal. Marsha uses the convex Convatec and so do I. I get over a week's wear time, and we all will have a different solution to your issues. However, as an objective observer who has a permanent ILEO, listen to the peeps with the most wear time. The goal is 3 days with any wafer. Any less needs to be addressed and figured out until you get the standard 3 days. If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Michael (a permanent ILEO stomate for now over 12 years, who gets over a week's wear time on every wafer). Stay well and in touch. I will be here to answer any questions you might have. If I may add, you look great. xo

sunasea

Hi Kathy, thanks for the like. Hollister and others have a curved wafer just for your situation. It pushes on your abdomen and pushes out your stoma over the edge of the wafer. Have you tried it? I taught myself and it has been a life changer for me.

PS you're very pretty, kinda random, but that would be me.

ron in mich

Hi Kathy, up until last year my stoma was small and the opening was at skin level. I used a flat Convatec wafer with a piece of Eakin seal around the opening of the wafer, like a piece of rope around the hole. But I would flatten it after sticking it on the wafer. I would get 3 days of wear time and change it on the fourth.