Recovery Progress and Stoma Incision Healing Time?

Replies
Views
Vikings4mags

15 weeks after my emergency sigmoid colostomy surgery, I am bag-free and doing pretty good. I had read so many horror stories about reversals, I decided to keep myself offline. I opted to be upbeat physically, mentally, and spiritually before reversal. I still have some pink-colored drainage from where the stoma was, and it's sore, but it's manageable. I take 8 extra-strength Tylenol a day as I won't do any opioids, and my pain is not extreme. I still am having issues each day not knowing if I will have a loose stool or having to work hard to go to the bathroom. I go back to the doctor tomorrow for my first follow-up since surgery. I am praying that I continue to see improvements daily. I am curious how long it took for the stoma incision site to heal up completely so I don't have to wear a guard for drainage?

Morning glory

Vikings4mags,

Sounds like you are doing well. Good news!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,448 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

britathrt60

I am so happy for you.... Stay positive!

Bill

Thank you so much for this positive post. Too often, people have a successful reversal and forget to give us the good news.

Best wishes

Bill

Jenerprise

Good news on your reversal!

I had my reversal in December of 2017. I would say things got back to fairly normal about 2-3 months ago.

Have you talked to your doctor about the pain and drainage?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
JD90

I am in the process of scheduling a reversal. I too have read many horror stories, so it is nice to read one with a positive message. I have been working hard to get in the best shape of my life to be able to have a strong mind and body when I do schedule my reversal surgery. I am looking at having it done in Nov or Dec this year. I can't wait and just pray that everything goes as well as all the other successful stories on here.

@Bill,

I will never forget about this site or anyone who has a colostomy. I've lived with my colostomy for over two years now and have had many ups and downs mentally. I plan on being an ostomy advocate to help others in need, especially people who cannot afford ostomy supplies or are having a hard time coping with having a stoma.

I am a big supporter of StealthBelt too. I recommend anyone that is active to purchase a couple StealthBelts, you won't be disappointed.

Vikings4mags

I wish you much success on your reversal. I am approaching 5 weeks this Friday. The incision is healed, and I am starting to be able to sleep on my left side again. I sometimes feel a heaviness inside, under the skin, in the muscles that were cut, but no more drainage. It healed up nicely! I am not having any issues having bowel movements. They are more frequent and smaller than before the obstruction and perforated colon. Keep the positive thoughts of complete healing. It does wonders if you can be physically and emotionally feeling good!

Vikings4mags

I am doing great now! Still pain underneath the incision, but no more drainage. It will be 5 weeks on Friday, and healing up well. Hopefully, in another month or so, I won't feel the heaviness in the muscles under the stoma site.

Vikings4mags

Yes, I am thank you. It's important that people hear of the successes, not just complications. They scared me a lot, and I decided I had to emotionally and physically get myself ready with full faith in success. It worked! I wish more people complete healing!

Vikings4mags

Thank you and wish all my ostomates great health.