Concerns about Colostomy Reversal: Major Surgery or Minor Procedure?

Replies
Views
charmed1199

Last October, my intestines ruptured and I had emergency surgery. I ended up with a colostomy bag. I since went back to the surgeon and he says it's a "major" surgery and will have to reopen my surgery scar again. I'm scared to have a reversal because of the previous wound being cut wide open again. Also, I was told he regulates pain with an epidural or spinal tap. That really scares me because I've never had one, so I have concerns about side effects. I have read it's a minor surgery with small incisions under the stoma. Am I correct or is my surgeon correct?

Mrs.A

Hi Charmed,

Sorry, I don't have any information on a reversal, but I'm sure someone will chime in who has the knowledge to share. If you search the forum, you may already find answers from previous threads. I hope you find some answers soon to help with the fear you must be feeling.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Little Red

Charmed 1199, Hi. I also had just about the same surgery as you. Ruptured bowel, emergency surgery. I was full of infection and woke up in intensive care with a colostomy. It was a long road back, but I'm still working at it after 1 and 1/2 years. I talked to my surgeon and got the same answer as you, so I have decided not to put myself through that again. I don't want to have to deal with the pain and recovery all over again. So I will live with it for now. I wish you luck making a big decision.

charmed1199

Thanks for the info. I don't want to go through the same ordeal, so I have made the decision not to go through the surgery. Sad as it is, I'm just too afraid.

MagicFlute14

Hello charmed1199.

You are not alone. I had my surgery in January and spoke with my surgeon about reversal. My recovery from January was 6 months. He told me that there was a high probability that he would have to do another stoma if he couldn't reverse it. So, I told him, without a warranty, I'm not going through that hell again. And I remember he wanted to give me an epidural to manage the pain before surgery, and I said no, I would deal with pain with other things. I woke up from the surgery 10 hours later, in the ICU and was intubated for another 12 hours, completely conscious, without being able to talk or breathe on my own. Even the original anesthesiologist came in the morning telling me he was against leaving me with the tube, but since my surgery took such a long time, he had to be replaced by another anesthesiologist. The scar I have is horrible, to say the least. So, after finding a wafer and a bag that are actually comfortable, I will not do the reversal in the near future. I can always do it later, so, I completely understand you.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
sassie

It is a major surgery and my doctor advised I leave well enough alone. Mine is an end colostomy which means it was kinda meant to be permanent, whereas a loop colostomy is not so bad to reverse. I think the END means THE END, lol.

I'm just going to deal with what I have. Good luck with your choice.

Jenerprise

Good morning,

I had a colostomy for about 6 months after a botched robotic-assisted hysterectomy. I had the reversal about 10 months ago.

For the surgery, they tried to do an epidural, but couldn't because I have a bit of scoliosis and the needle wouldn't go in. It sounds awful, but I didn't care due to the fentanyl they gave me right before. They just numbed up my stomach a bunch during surgery.

Along with the takedown, I had a peristomal hernia repair and extensive lysis of adhesions (apparently it was like cobweb city). When I woke up from my surgery, I actually felt better than I had in months. I went home about a day later.

Since then, I have had a couple of issues with constipation, etc., but have found if I take a little bit of milk of mag if I didn't get a chance to have a salad during the day, I am fine. I have had no issues aside and am glad I had the reversal. I also love my surgeon and think he is brilliant. I think that is most of the battle right there.

Best of luck,

Jen

OrlandoNewbie

I, too, ended up with a colostomy after a ruptured intestine on June 4th and am planning for a reversal early in October.

I was surprised to hear from my surgeon that the statistics show that more people eligible for a reversal elect not to have one; unfortunately, the statistics do not give patients' reasons, although my guesses are being confirmed here.

Like you, Jen, I trust my surgeon which is a major consideration. My attitude right now is that the majority of the issues should be behind me (see what I did there?) by Christmas (positive thoughts!) I appreciate your posting after your reversal. Like most websites, it's generally people with problems who post and successes just resume their lives --- that leaves the forum with the impression that problems are the norm.

My "bad news" is that as a 67-year-old woman, I don't want this experience and subsequent weakness from what will be two "breaches" of my abdominal muscles to turn me into a Little Old Lady. That worries me. I work and travel and don't intend to stop either anytime soon, but when I got down on the floor to get something out of the back of a low cabinet the other day, I seriously struggled to get back up. Whoa! Have to pay more attention to those exercises the PT gave me.

Please, Successful Reversals, let us know how you're doing and what we might watch out for.

Thanks,

Donna

Katy3943

I had a reversal done after having a colostomy from a ruptured appendix. I had the epidural (remember they don't want to give you heavy pain meds because it can slow your bowel down and it must be moving to leave the hospital!)

I too had the massive incision scar from surgery and they did the reversal by going back through that same scar. The epidural worked fine for me... certainly uncomfortable at the incision site as expected, but really tolerable. They took out the epidural 2 days after my surgery and I went home on the 5th day after my first bowel movement.

I was so excited to have the reversal that it made me look at some of the pain was worth the end result!!!

It took several weeks for things to return to normal but I never had an accident or was scared to leave the house. There are several foods that still don't agree with me but that is okay. I am alive to tell this story to you and so grateful as my surgeon reminds me that I shouldn't have lived through it! Good luck! Feel free to ask me more questions if you want!!

OrlandoNewbie

Thank you, Katy. That's about how my surgeon described it, although I did request that if he had to go back through the original incision could he at least give me a tummy tuck while he was in the neighborhood! Problem is, he didn't know I was serious ;) I have my appointment with him to discuss the operation at the end of the month when I return from vacation. I was not aware of the epidural possibility. I've had two of those, both resulting in children, so this should be my third good result!

How long after the original colostomy was your reversal? Mine will be four months, almost to the day. I would imagine that also impacts how quickly the bowels respond.

The urgency problem is another concern, although I can certainly pick up some products to insure against that. Glad to hear you got through that successfully as well. I have not had problems thus far with pain, cramping, or blockages, so that means I'll be fine...or I'm due ;)

I feel much the same as you, the pain and discomfort will be worth it. We have been doubly fortunate: saved by the operation and with an opportunity to choose reversal.

How did you find recovery, as compared to the first operation? I had a whole lotta infection, resulting in delayed wound recovery with tunnelling, but as this is planned, I'm expecting less trauma. I was home for a month after the first op; how long did it take you to get back to work?

I appreciate your time!

Donna