Need help with ballooning pouch at night

Replies
Views
flabbergastednks

For the last couple of weeks, I've had issues with gas. My pouch inflates like a balloon during the night, and I have to get up at 5:00 in the morning to burp it. My PA suggested I crush a couple of GasX tablets and put them in my pouch, but it hasn't helped. It doesn't matter what I eat. Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, what did you do to resolve the problem? It's really beginning to wear me out.

Morning glory

Hi flabbergasted..., I take Gas-X by mouth. Are you chewing your food thoroughly and not eating fast? Watch the spices and don't use a straw. These are just a few suggestions I have learned. I still have gas at times, but this has reduced it.

Morning glory

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Flabbergasted,

I too have had my pouch blow up like a balloon but not really during the night. During the day and evening. I eat all the wrong things so I think I bring it on myself. I have cut out bananas, one of my favorite foods! Will never stop eating Brussels sprouts! Lol I heard that Gas-X worked as well but taking it orally. If you find the secret cure, please share!

Puppyluv

Poobag17

Hi - oddly enough, for the past 3 weeks I've been dealing with a simsim situation. Just overly gassy day and night and can't figure out why.

Background - I have had my ostomy for 20 plus years, never had any gas issues like this. Had my rectum removed 4 months ago, and post-op was a bit gassy but went away. Since then I've been building up my gut flora with a mixture of random things from my naturopath, and I suspect it's something to do with that, but not sure. No other variable I can think of. I'd rather not take Gas-X if I don't have to, I feel like that would just cause something else to happen, rather I'd like to find out why and fix it. My nutritionist wife says perhaps I may just be a gassy person and it's taken this long to get my gut flora to the point it's supposed to be functioning at. If that's the case, perhaps the Gas-X won't be such a bad idea!!! Ha!!

Bill
Hello Flabbergastednks. Cruiseguy had a good idea a few weeks back for letting the gas out of the bag. I will copy his post below:  (I've just sent for a free sample)

Filter pouches don't work that great at expelling gas from your pouch. I like to use the Osto-EZ-vents. You attach them to top of your pouch and let the air out manually. More info on them at their website https://kemonline.com/content/home/

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
flabbergastednks

I have been drinking through a straw more lately. I do tend to eat fast and I think I chew my food thoroughly, however I tend to lean more towards spicy food as my chemo has made a lot of foods taste bland. I will try to eat more slowly and ditch the straw.

Thanks!

flabbergastednks

I have been drinking through a straw more lately. I do tend to eat fast and I think I chew my food thoroughly, however I tend to lean more towards spicy food as my chemo has made a lot of foods taste bland. I will try to eat more slowly and ditch the straw.

Thanks!

flabbergastednks

Puppyluv, I did buy the generic version of GasX, wonder if that's the problem? I'll try taking it orally and see if that helps. It used to only be when I ate broccoli or Brussels sprouts. Now it seems to be everything.

Thanks for the tip.

Flabbergastednks.