Dealing with Colostomy: Excessive Gas and Ballooning in the Evening?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ronjeff

Does anyone get tremendous gas and ballooning like I do with colostomy in the evening?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

To the point where I would set the alarm for every 45 minutes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

I can't speak for everyone, but if I cut out grains and cereals, including breads, gas is almost nonexistent.

britathrt60

I have an ileostomy and made the mistake of eating Cheerios cereal before bed....WOW, lots of gas and ballooning....won't do that again..

Ewesful

Try a bit of pickle juice or peanut butter.... There is also a vent you can add to your bag that will let you sleep longer.

Anything with carbonation or alcohol can create your symptom.... Good luck.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

I have had a lot of gas lately as well. I am willing to accept some in order to continue to eat what I like. Wearing a two-piece system makes it much easier to release the gas, not even having to go to a bathroom as long as you are alone somewhere. I can even do it through my clothes! Lol

sculptorjohn

I was getting that quite badly last year, for no apparent reason. I've found that 3 things help a lot:

1.) Beano pills. Even when I haven't eaten beans.

2.) Greek yogurt. Not just any old yogurt. Greek. I don't have a list of the live cultures in regular yogurt vs. those in Greek on hand, but there's one in Greek that's not present in the regular stuff.

3. Catnip tea. Make it strong. Helps break up gas in the stomach that would otherwise travel down and out into your bag. It works WAY better than commercial preparations containing simethicone like GasX. Careful though. Cats will be all over you 'cause the catnip seeps out your pores, and their claws are a real hazard to your bag, even if you've got all your clothes on.

Good luck. That's a monster of a problem to deal with.

Puppyluv56

Thanks for the tips! I know what gives me gas and I eat it anyway, so these tips will help when needed! Not sure about the catnip tea though! My cat doesn't even like catnip! LOL

Puppyluv

nang5665

I've always suffered from bloating and gas, and it has certainly gotten worse after my colostomy. I've been to a gastro doc, and he prescribed Metamucil and Bentyl. For the most part, it has helped, but I still get bouts of it, and it lasts for days before diminishing.

Homie With A Stomie NS

More so in the evening... Do not eat large meals, etc., after 6pm. Also, try putting a sticker over your filter if your bag has one. It also depends on what I drink as well. Coffee or soda will definitely fill me with more gas than pass, lol...