Flu vaccinations and ostomy: To vaccinate or not?

Replies
Views
vdahl

I know, for me, I have a fearful dread with the notion of throwing up! With having an ostomy, I can't help but assume our immune systems are vulnerable at best, but there is a great deal of negative information on flu shots too. Darned if ya do, darned if ya don't, right?

Sasquatch

Myself, I don't chance it. I'm caretaker for my mom; she has stage IV COPD. If she were to come down with the flu, there's a good chance she wouldn't survive it. My employer gives us free flu shots every year if we so choose. The only time recently I debated turning it down was when I was on treatment for UC. I was on Humira, prednisone, and 6MP cocktail when it was time for them. My doctor still recommended that I get one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I definitely will get one. The only time I got the flu was when I missed the shot.

Poobag17

Haven't gotten 1 since grade school, seldom get sick. I take steps to ensure my immune system is in good shape, there are lots of options, and honestly I don't see myself as someone who has a compromised immune system just cause I have an ostomy. Maybe that's ignorant, I'm not an expert, but even when I do get sick (knock on wood now!!) it is usually only a few days.

I think if I had other concerns such as cardiac or respiratory issues, or something else significant I may look differently, but please don't sit there and not get a flu shot or get a flu shot based on how other people are. Make sure you look at yourself and what your situation is. Cheers.

Newbie Dana

There are two things to look at when deciding to get a flu shot. 1) As was mentioned, how is your immune system? Many of us here have our ostomies because of cancer, and the chemo and radiation have long-term negative effects on our immune system. If this is why you had your ostomy, I would never miss a flu shot. 2) How much do you come in contact with the general public? I work in an income tax office. From January to April, everybody who is sick and taking time off from work thinks that's the best time to get their taxes done, because they don't have to go to work ... Needless to say, I get a flu shot every year as early as I can.

Evaluate your own situation, and then make your informed decision.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Puppyluv56

I have never had a cold and never had the flu until I was maybe 55 years old. After my first bout with cancer, I was out of work for two weeks! First time I ever missed work! It was so bad and for the next few years, my boss made me get one. I worked as a Case Manager in a huge Oncology practice. Cannot be sick around cancer patients! I have not had a flu shot in 4 or 5 years now and will never get another. They predict the strain and as a rule get it wrong, well not wrong but not complete. It never covers all the different strains but the research is way ahead of the flu season so as the strains change, the shots are basically ineffective. I have not been sick since either with not getting the shot

Puppyluv

Hermit

Have never had the flu shot and won't start. Last time I checked they were too effective! Don't feel like putting mercury and other toxins in my body! Have never had the flu!

ron in mich

Hi vdahl, I just had a follow-up appointment with my PCP, and he said the flu shots are about 30 percent effective for most people, and last year's shots were only 10 to 15%. But it's the herd effect that helps boost it. I don't get it, but my wife does.

vdahl

Thanks to everyone for your comments; each and every one makes perfect sense. I did give in to getting a flu shot last year but I'm thinking I may pass on this season, primarily because I don't venture out much. I really do appreciate your time.

Thanks, V

anyark

Hadn't gotten a flu shot for years, but after my proctocolectomy, figuring my immune system was compromised, I decided to get pneumonia, shingles, and flu shots. My doctor, who knows I prefer homeopathy and naturopathy, encouraged me to get them, too. It's really a personal decision.

Rosiesmom

Hi, I have had a colostomy for almost 5 years. I get a flu shot every year since my hubby and I travel and cruise frequently. I have never suffered any side effect nor have I had the flu.

Lala5555

I got an urostomy in Oct 2007. My doctor gave me a flu shot then every year thereafter, even though I have stage 3 kidney disease. Never had a problem at all!

Past Member

Good day! I was concerned about the flu shot. I had a permanent ostomy last November. Up until last year, I never took the shot. I was sort of in between, like you, heard pros/cons. This is my second year taking it. I'm up for hernia surgery in November. The doctor said it's a good idea to get it. So, I've had no ill effects from it. Good luck. :)

vollovr

I've had an ileostomy for many years and worked in healthcare all those years, still working. I have worked in a hospital, laboratory, clinics, assisted living facilities, and privately. I have observed and learned much about the flu and who is susceptible. Everyone! It doesn't matter whether you have a strong as steel immune system or a weakened one. If you are in public, you are at risk. I have taken the shot every year except in 2005 when I had moved out of state and was so busy with the move I simply forgot to get one. I got the flu that year and was the absolute sickest I have ever been in my entire life. Trust me, if getting a shot prevents me from being extremely sick, I'll do anything to get one! This year's shot is a quad, meaning protection against 4 strains of influenza.

Little Red

Vollover, I am with you. I retired from healthcare and it was mandatory at the hospitals I worked for to get the flu shot. The one year I worked for home healthcare I was a mess, so back to getting the shot. I have a compromised immune system, Graves disease, and now my colostomy. I just had my flu shot this past Tuesday and I would recommend it to everyone. Once you contact the flu, it is too late.

vdahl

Thank you again for the input and some very good points. I know they certainly make it convenient to get the shot. I got the swine flu several years ago and was so sick I felt like I needed to get better to die!

Vollovr, thanks for pointing out that this year's shot is a quad... even more reason to feel good about being proactive. As you pointed out, Little Red, it's too late once you get sick.

Thanks, V

Silveradokid

My mantra is: if uncertain, ask your surgeon. Personally, I get the flu shot every year. Missed one year and contracted the darn illness...

freedancer

I have always taken the flu shot and recently gotten the pneumonia one as well. I have no desire to die from either one, and since getting them every year, haven't suffered with either. The only thing that happens is I get a sore arm, and for 3 hours, I spike about a 99.8 temp, then it is over. So I will continue to get them every year!

vdahl

Just for the record, I did get the flu/pneumonia "Sr. Series" according to my doctor's recommendation. I am having respiratory issues and have recently been put on oxygen. Like you, I don't want to take a chance on adding to the frustrations at hand. I am hoping this is temporary so I can get back to "living".

Homie With A Stomie NS

True, anyone with an ostomy, their immune system is compromised. I have an ileostomy and recently took the flu shot with no effects on my ostomy. I continue to protect myself as I truly do not need any further medical issues on my plate. This is definitely an individual choice; no two people are alike. Perhaps discuss with your GP or surgeon.