Living Without Favorite Foods After Surgery

Replies
Views
Silveradokid

My 2 cents echoes NJ Bain - moderation and chew, chew, chew...

Vikingthor

I eat almost everything. If you want nuts, sweet corn, green peas, etc., without them popping back out in your feces, then liquidize them into a mush. Your body will then digest them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HeyHey

Go slow at the beginning. Add more foods. Moderation. Some foods have too much fiber/starch and may cause cramps. Stay away from them. Keep a list so you know what does not work for you. If you get cramps, try juices - apple, orange, coconut water, tomato. Those will thin things out.

OU812

Lots of great advice in Dadnabbit's post. I myself (ileostomy for less than 1 year) am still being very cautious by following most of the food rules without any experimenting at all because ending up back in the hospital with another blockage is just not something I want to repeat. I almost fell over when I read on this website that some people eat mini marshmallows to slow their stoma activity during appliance changes! That's just insane to me. In addition to chewing all my (allowed) foods and having fluids, I also follow every meal up with a cup of hot decaf tea (no sugar) to keep things moving in there which I got from a blockage tip article. The only fruit & veggies I eat now are Gerber baby food ones or cooked veggies in soup! Luckily, I've always been a meat and mashed potatoes gal, so I can still eat some of my old favorite foods. I do break a few rules once in awhile... like having fried mozzarella sticks as an appy when I'm out with friends. I also eat plain pizza weekly without incident and a few beers here and there have gone ok. I eat Pringles to satisfy my snacking urges; and when I'm craving popcorn, I just eat Pirate's Booty or white cheddar rice cakes. Hope some of these substitutions help other rule followers.