Replacing Meals with Protein Shakes for Weight Loss with an Ileostomy - Need Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
AmyMichD

Hi

For 1 week, I have been trying to replace my breakfast and lunch with a protein shake (Garden Based) so there is a lot of fiber in it.

And then at dinner time, I am eating a sensible meal. Plus, the doc recommended I do Miralax every day to make my bowels more consistent. However, my output still seems to be not good. I'm not sure if maybe my body is not used to it and it is adjusting.

My question is, is this healthy for me to replace breakfast/lunch with a protein shake? Also, do you recommend a protein powder that may be healthier for a person that has a stoma?

Any help you can provide on this is greatly appreciated.

Amy :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

Personally, I would eat what you want and when you want. Your body will tell you what you can and cannot tolerate. The ileostomy output, I have found over almost 40 years, depends on the combination of the types of foods we eat and drink. There have been many posts on here describing such. Of course, there is an initial period of acclimation (how recently have you had your ileostomy) where almost nothing you eat is agreeable. Within time, that seems to vary from person to person, things will normalize. Good luck!

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
AquarianGirl

Hi there; first of all, I would never ever ever use a laxative with an ileostomy. When I had my ileostomy surgery in 2005, I was told that the only time my stoma wouldn't produce was if I had a blockage. I've had a few blockages over time, and my stoma did not produce. An ileostomy produces all the time; it doesn't need help along the way with a laxative.

As for protein shakes, I've never tried them but would think that your output would become very liquid.

I have found Weight Watchers to be a good weight loss program.

Good luck,

Brenda

Past Member

Amy, how long have you had it?

I have had mine since Jan. 2018. The stupid doctors at LifeSpan RI scared me that mine would get blocked if I didn't eat low fiber foods. Well, one day I needed something right away and grabbed a double cheeseburger from BK.

Guess what? A few hours later, a whole pickle slice was in the toilet. At that time, I realized that the doctors were wrong. Well, that and a few much bigger mistakes, and I switched to Dana Farber.

So, not sure about the shakes, but eat what you want and realize it's going to come out. Some foods are better than others.

I am trying to lose weight as well.

Good luck.

Dave

JM_IN_MD

Hi, I've had an ileostomy for 40 years or so and I have used Metamucil to thicken the output. Since it is a natural fiber, it doesn't work the same as a chemical laxative. I'm not sure if your problem is output too watery, but if so, try that out. Bananas will also thicken output, but be careful as they can also block you up. Each person is different and your body can change over time. I used to eat bananas all the time, but now they make my belly hurt.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Wilski

I had an ileostomy too many years ago and had it reversed.

The most important thing that the MDs didn't tell me was to drink tons of water. I didn't and my kidneys were affected by dehydration. Without your colon working, you are not absorbing water normally since that is one of the things the colon does.

Extra water is essential. Get your doctor to test your kidney function via a blood test sooner than later.

Good luck.