Caution: Marathon No-Sting Skin Barrier Allergy & Removal Issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
freedancer

Many of you know that I was having a huge issue with red, raw, bumpy, and itchy skin around my stoma. I was given the Marathon No Sting Skin Barrier to see if it would work to heal me up. It turns out that after a month of using it, I am allergic to it. It made the issue much, much worse. I stopped using it after the 30 days, which I felt was a long enough period of time to accurately gauge if it was going to work for me. My advice to those who try it, watch your skin symptoms carefully. Also, it is very hard to remove with the adhesive pads, which can add to irritation from rubbing harder than normal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

I see no benefit of getting skin barriers either! Some pouches and flanges do not stick as well when using a barrier. Now I was given a spray barrier and a powder to use as well as the spray and it seemed to protect my skin. I am lucky to not have any issues and only have to change my flange every 3-5 days so that certainly cuts down on the irritation! One-piece pouches probably have to be changed more often!

Hope you find something to ease your condition!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Immarsh

Hi, Smith and Nephew (available through my medical supply company) has a no-sting skin prep. That might work for you. I still prefer the "sting" version..... I think it works better... I have very sensitive skin, and neither of these has ever caused a problem. I hope it works for you. Call the company and ask for samples....

Immarsh

Hi....I forgot to add, that after the skin prep (barrier) I also use stoma adhesive powder, by Convatec, and that has healing qualities. While the "barrier" wipe is still wet, I spray on the powder, especially around the stoma. It keeps my skin healthy... PS I never use soap on my skin. The additives can interfere with a good adhesion. My skin is dry, tough, and rarely do I get irritations. I'm grateful! Best of luck..

Mrs.A

I also use the Smith and Nephew that I get when I order my supplies. I have tried using witch hazel that also worked well but I'm not sure it wouldn't sting if you have irritated sore skin.

Do you know what is in the product you use that you're allergic to?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes

Hi Marsh,

I use the exact same materials and have done so for many years. The Stomahesive powder is particularly effective.

X_

MagicFlute14

I also was irritated at the beginning, to the point of bleeding. The solution was not to use anything bag for 24 hours, I cleaned the skin with antibacterial soap and then applied Desitin extra strength. Within 24 hours, the irritation was gone. To sleep, I attached a bag with regular adhesive outside just in case.... I almost didn't sleep thinking of a disaster in my bed, but my skin needed to heal. Now, when I change the wafer after shower, I apply Desitin and wait a couple of hours before cleaning again to attach the new wafer.