Stoma output frequency and concerns: Any experiences with intermittent output?

Replies
Views
Ladyhawke

Was wondering if anyone goes for a day or so without having any output. I only eat once a day and not very much. Also, I used to be bothered with pancaking at first but my Dr gets me to drink ClearLax daily. Some days it doesn't work but most days it will.

Shitt Happens

Good evening, Lady,
Yes, it happens if I have to take Imodium because of diarrhea. Me too, on the weekend, I eat only one meal in the evening and I do my irrigation every night. I understand only one thing since I have an ostomate: we will never know the human body... lollll.

And more personally, it's funny for me to see you come from Labrador because 49 years ago, I went to my uncle's home in Wabush and I went to school in Labrador City... what a memory. Thank you:)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ladyhawke

Thank you so much and I'm happy you enjoyed our Labrador.....it is quite beautiful with a lot of snow...lol

dls

Hi Ladyhawke, I have output in my bag every day. I'm not even a year out, but my surgeon makes me call his office if I go 24 hours without output. I've never had diarrhea or been constipated. This was true before my ostomy. Things only got 'loose' if I'd eaten something spoiled or once, when I got food poisoning. Everyone's digestive system is different, but you may want to ask your doctor. You don't want an accidental blockage. Better safe than (really) sorry.

xnine

Yes. Just like before my surgery for a colostomy. If I go a day or so with no output, I take Laxaday (a softener) but not very often. As for pancaking, it happens but has never been such a problem that it causes any leakage, most likely when I am not moving around (laying in bed or just sitting too long). The bag just fills anyway. As long as there is no pain, I am not concerned.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Homie With A Stomie NS

Hi lady....I don't have the wasteless issues but definitely pancaking every once in a while, but a few tips and tricks I've learned along the way.

When emptying, leave some air in your bag. Air stops sides of pouch from sticking and allows for waste to fall. Second, rinse bag daily with a little baby oil in a squeeze bottle of warm water. The oil lubes inside bag and nothing sticks, slides like butter on a hot knife, and smells baby fresh!

Can I ask why you only eat once per day? With my ileostomy, I was told at least 5 times per day, small portions. Add in a sweet or salty crunchy snack, etc.

Tracy

Ladyhawke
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

That's all I can eat is just one meal. I can't eat when I wake up. Maybe at 11 I will eat a slice of toast or a small snack and then I'm not hungry until dinner.

AlexT

I'd starve to death eating that little. You don't have much output because you have no input. I've gone 24-36 hours before with no output and I eat probably more than most. If I go that long with no output, then I get a bunch all at once (like the dam broke). Then, I won't have much for a day or so. Normally, I have just enough that I empty about 3 times a day.