Pros and Cons of Stoma Irrigation for Colon Issues

In this discussion
Replies
Views
LLES

Missing end of colon. Use Hollister 1-piece closed bags. Pasty output sometimes clogs up hole and ends up leaking out under adhesive and irritating skin. Thinking of trying irrigation but scared. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of irrigation? I'm 62 years old so trying something new is kind of scary.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi. I had the same kind of problem you're describing. Try the irrigation! It saved my sanity and gave me back my freedom. In my opinion, you won't regret it! If you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them...as will a whole lot of other people on this site. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mild_mannered_super_hero

I agree, try it. It will give you back your freedom and confidence. :) There are several videos on YouTube to help you start. Search "colostomy irrigation".

LLES

Thanks so much for answering. I have a small hernia (surgeon says they won't do anything unless it causes problems) and read that irrigation candidates with hernias and radiation to pelvic area (both my cases) aren't the best candidates so I'm still a bit worried but if I end up trying I'll contact you for help if I need it. Thanks again!

Puppyluv56

I too am trying irrigation! Even though I still have output in between irrigations, I have my sanity back because the output is small and I have not had even one leak since starting the irrigation over 3 weeks. Really helps with your confidence! You can call your Ostomy Nurse and make an appointment and let them do it for you the first time to show you. I am your age as well, no biggie! Everyone on here has helped me through it and it has been great!

Puppyluv

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LLES

Thanks so much for your reply!

Shitt Happens

Hi Spain,

Good evening. You are on the best site for ostomates to have very good advice on irrigation. I'm 59 years old and I've been doing my irrigation for 6 months now and it's going very well. I have more and more self-confidence thanks to all these people who responded to my questions, which at times seemed stupid but no, there is no stupid question. And as I already said: take your time. You do not have to succeed the first week. What counts is that you have the courage to start with trial and error, not to refrain from asking questions. And as the gentleman said above, there are good videos to learn and to immerse yourself in this new way forward. You will see the pleasure of having a new freedom in this handicap. Good luck.
Danielle ...... Tra

LLES

Thanks Danielle for responding. I'm working up the courage to try. I'm from St. Paul, Minnesota, born and raised but have been living in Spain since I was 21. And yes, the ostomy nurse is really good and wants to teach me irrigation, so we'll see how it goes. I'm worried because I read a US ostomy site saying people with radiation to the pelvic area and/or with hernias (my case) weren't the best candidates for irrigation, so that added to my fears.

Laura

Puppyluv56

Laura, I too have had radiation and the collateral damage was extensive. I had it 11 years ago from cervical cancer so when I was diagnosed with a different type of cancer, neuroendocrine tumor in the rectum, I had only chemotherapy and surgery as options. It is rare that this aggressive type of cancer presents in the rectum but I usually get all the weird things happen to me! Lol Because of the damage from all those years ago, I had to have total reconstruction, pretty big surgery along with the colostomy. My colorectal surgeon thought I was a great candidate for irrigation and never mentioned not being a good candidate because of radiation. I think all of us have the probability of a hernia, with or without having radiation. I am only a few weeks into irrigation but so far so good. I know many on here mention they have a hernia, even some that irrigate. Don't let it hold you back from freedom. Candy

LLES

Thanks, Candy, for the info.