New to Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Axis308

I'm a new member and also new to my ileostomy (6 weeks post-surgery). I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I learn, but I think I'm in the right place to learn. Just wondering if anyone else has their ostomy due to diverticulitis. If so, do you have a colostomy or ileostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

Welcome Axis, you have come to the right place! Everyone here will be very helpful! I have a colostomy so I cannot give you as much help as others that have the same as you do, but we all have to use some type of pouches and there are a lot of great suggestions here! Ask any questions you have. All topics are discussed in detail! Hope you are doing well! You are just getting up and about. It gets much easier from here!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Axis308

Thanks Puppyluv. I'm getting around great. I have been back to work for two weeks now and haven't had any issues yet. My biggest question, I guess, is about the reason I have my ostomy. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 6 years ago. I was given antibiotics and sent home. Last August, it came back. I was once again given antibiotics and sent home. I started having lots of issues in September of last year. I was dumb and didn't go to the doctor till April of this year and found out I had an obstruction in my sigmoid colon. Long story short, my colon swelled to the size of a softball. So I had an ileostomy to allow it to go back to normal. What are the chances that it caused permanent damage to my colon.

Puppyluv56

Axis,

I am sure the ostomy was done to give your colon time to heal from both the diverticulitis and the bulge in the colon. I would certainly ask your surgeon those questions. If you are lucky, it will be a temporary fix and you can go back to normal when all is healed.

Morning glory

Welcome to MAO, Axis.

You are smart to join this group. I tend to agree with Puppyluv. It sounds like the surgeon is giving your colon time to heal. Please use caution in lifting so as not to get a hernia. I agree that you should ask your doctor or ostomy nurse anything you are concerned about. This site is full of information. We are all here for each other. Feel free to share your concerns. You are already on your way.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister