Irrigating a Colostomy: Benefits and Stoma Cap Info?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ShyIntrovert

Is there a benefit to irrigating a colostomy? Just found out I have to keep mine permanently. Was just curious. Also, any info on stoma caps are greatly appreciated!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sunasea

Yes, I do it every day

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
sunasea

Yes, I do it every day

Bill

Hello Shyintrovert. There are many benefits to irrigation and they nearly all stem from not having to bother about output during the day. Thus, we don't need to concern ourselves about knowing where every toilet is;  or emptying bags/pouches; or having leaks  etc. I haven't tried a stoma cap because I wear a stoma plug, which suits my needs better but the principle is that they both protect the stoma and prevent any mucus from getting onto clothes.

The irrigation therefore frees us from the drudgery of dealing with output issues during the day, which, for most of us frees us up to indulge in more important activities.

The downside for me is that I need to irrigate regularly every evening and it seems to take forever. In reality it takes me about an hour for the main event and about two hours of waiting for residual output. I wear a bag or the sleeve (made into a bg) overnight, just in case of minimal output, which often does not happen at all but you cannot be too careful with these things.

Having said that, I would not stop irrigating as (in my opinion) the benefits far outwiegh the disadvantages. As with most things to do with stomas, every individual is different and my advice would always be to give these things a good trial before you make up your mind whether it suits you or not.

Best wishes

Bill 

mild_mannered_super_hero

Irrigation will give you your freedom and confidence back. Not everyone qualifies, so ask your doctor or ostomy nurse. There are several people on here who will help you get started or be glad to offer tips once you begin. Try it. What have you got to lose!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Hi Shy,

I am just a month into irrigating. It certainly relieves my anxiety of going out and having that dreaded leak or worrying about a bathroom. It does take a while to train your colon to empty at a certain time of day every day. I have taken the advice of Mmsh, Bill, and others and am succeeding. Like Bill said, it is a pain to do it every night so I am trying every other night. It is much better and this is the first time I have had no output in between days of irrigation! (If it holds till 9:00 this evening) So excited. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour depending on if I have to change my wafer or not, and I only do that every 6-8 days! Certainly saves on your skin as well! You will learn your body, but if your surgeon agrees that you are a good candidate, let us know, there are a lot of products out there that can make it easier for you!

Shitt Happens

It's the best thing, it takes one hour for 23 free.

Check my forum: Irrigation by Shitt Happens. I learn a lot of good things with this forum.

Try and take your time, it's worth it.

Danielle :)

Puppyluv56

You can request samples from the medical companies. Convatec, Coloplast, Hollister. Ask for them all so you will see what they are. You will have to decide on one because the products are not interchangeable if you do the two-piece. If you order the two-piece, then the pouches, irrigation sleeves, and caps all fit. I am using Convatec and happy with them. I did not like the Convatec one-piece. If you go to my profile, I have a picture of the stoma caps I was sent, even though I have not graduated to them yet. I also have a picture of all of the supplies that come in the Convatec irrigation kit. I am trying every other day irrigation so my supplies last twice as long and hopefully my colon will listen to me!

medic361

Hey there, Shy. I have been irrigating since two months post-surgery. I get between 36-60 hours of poo-free time, depending on what and how much I eat. I usually spend about an hour irrigating on the scheduled day, then shower and shave and head to work. It gives you a sense of freedom and peace of mind. I use the Coloplast Click two-piece system, which gives me the option to use a bag instead of a stoma cap if I do choose. There have been times that I have gone three days with just one stoma cap.

There is a ton of information on the web to help you in your decision, but definitely consult your WOCN or GI doc.

Nate757

Irrigation gives you your life back. If you can do it, be diligent in the process. I do it every day. Experiment, don't be scared. Find what works for you and stick with it. Do it every day at the same time. Once you start, you'll want to do it regardless. It only takes about an hour, and you will find out how long you can go between irrigation. And most definitely, relax. Let all the water in without making a mess.