Hole After Surgery

Replies
Views
Adamperez857

Hello! I recently had my ileostomy reversed and I am recovering from the surgery. I have noticed that the outer part of the hole seems to be getting bigger and bigger. The inside is holding fine but the outside is getting wider. Has anyone encountered this? Is it normal? My 2-week check-up isn't for another 5 days and I want to make sure that I don't have to go to the hospital or anything. Also, I am no longer in pain when changing the dressing. Does this mean it's not healing well? My main concern is the size of the hole.

Bill

Hello  Adamperez857. With things that concern you in this way, it is well to get a medical opinion asap. If it was me, I would be inclined to speak to a stoma nurse immediatelybecause they are the people who are most likely to have come across such problem before. If they are concerned, then they will arrange a quicker appointment with the doctor, so it becomes a win-win situation If they are jot concerned then they can reassure you until it is time to see the doctor.  You should not have to worry about these things on your own.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Judecruz

I'm home now for 5 days from the hospital. My stomach is quite sensitive. How long does it take for the stomach muscles to become less sensitive?

Bill

Hello Judecruz. Your question is not an simple one to answer, in that everybody is different in their healing rates. However, a rough guide for these sorts of things is usually around six weeks. 

Hope this is not too depressing 

Best wishes

Bill