Rectal Bleeding

Replies
Views
Little Red

Can anyone out there help? A week ago, I had a bloody discharge. I called my stoma nurse and she said maybe a hemorrhoid. Nothing since that time. This morning, I felt the pressure as if I need to have a bowel movement and again it was a bloody discharge. I have a call into my PCP but being a weekend, it is hard to reach anyone, not even my ET nurse. Is this normal or has anyone else had this problem if it is a problem? It is a dark red and no pain, etc. I will check it again in 30 min.

Little Red

Well, I let a good hour go by and then checked again. I am on Warfarin and now still a small amount (1/2 tsp) with small clots. I wonder if that is why the bleeding. My doctor's nurse did call back. If bleeding is still there come Monday (2 days), then call back and he may refer me to a gastro or surgeon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,356 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AquarianGirl

Hi Little Red,

Before I had my rectum and anus (and rectal stump) removed, I had bleeding with mucus. I had ulcerative colitis and while it was only two months after having my colon removed, the ulcerative colitis remained. I had to have the rectal stump, rectum, and anus removed and haven't had any problems since then with bleeding, etc.

Brenda

Bill

Hello Little Red. I see you have had your stoma for over a year so this rules out the usual 'teething troubles'. However, as I am sure you are a aware, taking warfarin makes people susceptable to bleeding more profusely than you would otherwise. It is always a good idea to have these things checked out properly as there might be something else going on. Hopefully they will refer you  and you can find out for sure what it is. Please keep us informed.

Best wishes

Bill

Immarsh

Hi little Red, if you still have your rectum (with an ileostomy or colostomy) there is always a possibility of inflammation from the original disease. I bled, and had mucus output, and some pain (rectally) for 4 years, when I finally had the rectum removed. Best thing to do is to check with a gastro dr. to see what is happening. It could be the disease, or the medication you're taking. Best of luck to you. Marsha

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister