Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,329 members

How many??

Posted by veejay, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:01 pm

According to the home page, this site has close to 19,500 members?…Really?

If that’s the case, where are they all?

It is a world-wide site after all?

Sure, a lot of the alleged 19,400+ members wouldn’t be paid up but even if half were financial, where are they?

Why isn’t there more “traffic”? Why don’t more contribute? Why is it always the “usual suspects”?

All sounds slightly askew and confusing to me?

What are your thoughts on this bewildering membership figure?

Or in this day and age of “acceptable exaggeration”, is it a marketing ploy?

Feel free to comment.

V.J.

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 pm

veejay.... I must agree traffic is slow.

Angelicamarie

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Do paid members talk on  a different format. I know I tried to do a few things and was rejected for not being a full memeber but they gave me a full memeberahip for 30 days and I did not notice any change. Maybe people are just busy!

Puppyluv

Reply by xnine, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:43 pm

I have one post that has 20K views.

PS - some people are shy and I expect some are dead.

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 pm

a fair question, but one i dont have an answer for. thank goodness for the "faithful few" who do post or otherwise interact with others on here. this forum is a wonderful tool for ostomates, you can learn more on here in a week than you can learn by trial and error in a year. 

Reply by mild_mannered_super_hero, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:40 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

Do paid members talk on  a different format. 

yes, we have a secret code that we use to plan world domination...and a secret handshake ; )

Reply by NJ Bain, on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:50 pm

This site has been around since 98' I believe.  Several members create a username and just look around the first time.  Then, they disappear either not needing the support or just not interested in the site.  Also, the mobile format of the site has caused in my opinion, less people coming into the chat room because they are simply not notified that someone is speaking in chat as opposed to the PC or Mac format.

When I first joined, I looked around for members to chat with and like almost everyone, I just stayed a free member.  I would log in every 6 months or so and didn't find anything had changed or was discouraged because no one tried to contact me or private message me.  And, I was doing so well without any support as my ET nurse was FK'N amaze balls!!

But yeah, of the 19k plus, some have passed, some have just logged in to look around and not much more, and some just gave up on the site as soon as they signed in.  And then there are the regulars that still take the time to come in.

Don't get discouraged, just take it as you get it.  At least that's my 2 cents.

Bain

Reply by countyclare, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 am

Greetings VJ,

I'm Mike from Lakewood, Ohio, USA.  I like everything Australian.  The surgeon who saved my life was an Australian native /  trained

colo-rectal surgeon. Sadly. he passed away last year.  I was surprised to hear the unbelievably large number of members on this site.

I have noticed that the same mebers seem to participate on this site. I haven't communicated with very many.

Feel free to write back if you are so inclined. Take care.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio USA

Reply by Bill, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 am

Hello Veejay. It's an interesting observation and a good question you pose.  I liken it to when I take a walk around town and sometimes there are crowds or people and sometimes there's hardly any. Who knows the true reason for this phenomenon? I used to facilitate self-help groups for people with emotional control difficulties and much the same thing would happen. At least in  those settings, participants would explain their absences and we could understand a little better why the fluctuations in numbers occurred.  You have had some useful pointers in the responses from others so far so I will not repeat these. However, I would like to say that, from my perspective, if there is just one person who is listening and maybe getting something from the correspondence, then the exercise would seem to be worthwhile. Like many others, I have had occasions when I cannot get on here for one reason or another and it would be so easy to let those occasions extend so that I slip out of the routine and do something else with my time. I think maybe we should just take the site for what it is and communicate with whoever is participating when we are. Although, I do appreciate the posts where we are informed of reasons why certain folks are no longer with us.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by veejay, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:06 am

Thanks for replying Bill…..I knew you would.

As usual you have provided a thoughtful perspective.

It was not my intention to criticise the site per se, it just that I find the membership figure very hard to believe.

You are right about accepting the site for what it is. Or as Tiger Woods might say….”it is what it is”.

Keep well Bill, I always enjoy your input.

Vincent.

P.S. Please don’t be offended but I see you as the President of the “usual suspects” Club. A great honour!

Reply by AusRob, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 am
Veejay.. have left chat comments on general chat section.. you appear to ahve left while I was mid-type.. Ausrob Sunday Oct 7th.
Reply by AusRob, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:18 am
Possible for the Admin folk to leave General chat notes in position for 2 or 3 days, then late comers will be able to see replies while they have been are absent? Thanks.. Ausrob
Reply by Bill, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:14 am

Hello Veejay. I am not offended at all and you flatter me with the title of 'president' of the usual suspects club. However, in my profile you may find a rhyming verse entitled 'I am a nobody'. The concept being one where I would not wish to be elevated to any position in society which insinuated that I was better or more significant than anyone else. The somewhat invisible, passive, yet still participating  people on this site can be observed by the number of people who are logged as having viewed posts. These sometimes number in the thousands and might be a better indicator as to how active the site really is.  Although we often encourage people to talk about stomas and the life that surrounds them, many people do not have the inclination or skills to open up about this sort of thing, so they simply read about it. Hopefully, they get what they are looking for in that activity. When it no longer fulfills their needs, they will disconnect and find other things to occupy their time. In this regard, there is some sense in making sure those silent people are made welcome and feel that they 'want' to communicate with the people who are regularly writing with them in mind.  I often slip in a rhyming verse or two, which are meant to be easy to read and don't specifically invite a response. However, it pleases me no end when people reply to say how much they have enjoyed or appreciated this type of input. This is sometimes the motivation for continuing to contribute.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by panther, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Used to be a more active group but expect most have moved over to facebook now. I've been a memeber for years I believe the home page with the amount of members in the group most just join have a quick look and there gone, sadly I know quite a few of the members who used to post a lot and posted lots of good jokes have passed away

Reply by Victor61, on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I must admit that i am very surprised by the lack of contact locally as there are suposed to be about 400 members innmelbourne

wwre the hell are they all, as a new member i rerely oop in now as it is so quiet 

ive never met anyone from this site. Not like im fussy. Its lack of contact

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.