Imodium for Travel: Dehydration Tips?

Replies
Views
buddi

I'm going to Mexico next month and will be spending a lot of time on the beach and hiking, not always near a bathroom. I'm wondering about anyone's experience in taking Imodium to slow output in this kind of a situation. I tend to have high output and have used Imodium in the past but not several days in a row. I also tend to get dehydrated easily.

Any suggestions?

xnine

Tequila and beer. LOL

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,458 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

When I travel, I only eat the minimum to satisfy my hunger. In the morning, I choose a protein drink in lieu of eating, especially before I get on an airplane. I just traveled to Amsterdam and had no issues. I would advise drinking even more water as airplanes are dehydrating to start with.

Stop eating at 6pm until the next day, and your system will be empty to start your hiking. Good luck. Penguins7

Poobag17

I guess it's up to you to really decide what you're comfortable with. Personally, the only thing I do differently when I'm somewhere warm like the Caribbean is drink more water, or even better Gatorade. That's the only difference because of the heat and dehydration factor. I have a variety of output, and never really do anything different if I'm travelling, or on a week-long trekking expedition, or flying or playing sports. I just go when I have to go. In the bush, dig a hole, I'll go before I leave for hockey, or if I'm on a flight, I'll just go on the plane. Pretty comfortable going anywhere really. No two ways about it.

I've never used Imodium, but hey if it helps, have at it.

Getting back to hydration, I do sometimes also use an electrolyte-rich drink powder before a long run in the heat, or summer days at work (firefighting). It preemptively gives you a bump in all the good salts and minerals you will inadvertently lose. It's made by a company called Vega, called their electrolyte hydrator, some people may not like the salty taste, I don't mind it. Check it out. All else fails, xnine is on the right track!

All the best.

ZaliBee

I am prescribed 2 Imodium 3x a day since my output is off the charts and it's been 2+ years now

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
buddi

I forgot to mention it's a cruise lol. But I hear what you're saying about monitoring the amount of food and timing. Appreciate the input.

I'm planning to take Gatorade with me so hopefully if I drink some before heading out that will help.

Good to know that Imodium seemingly doesn't cause dehydration.

Thanks all for your replies.

xnine

Some cruises do not allow you to bring your drinks. Check with your cruise line.

buddi

Thanks xnine. I actually called them and just need to bring a note from my doctor stating that it's a medical necessity.

HeyHey

In Mexico, they have nopales (cactus) water and pills. They are both hydrating, and the pill form has fiber. Slippery elm is nutritive and has fiber. It can be taken in capsules or mixed with hot water. Other choices are psyllium and apple pectin in capsules. You could test them before you go and alternate them with the Imodium. Check Imodium's side effects. Apples, peanut butter, crackers.

Rosiesmom

Hi, please be very careful with Imodium. My surgeon is dead set against it due to the risk of constipation and blockage. It is much better to tailor your diet and fluid intake. I travel a great deal and following the aforementioned have never had a problem. Just pack more supplies than normal to compensate for any changes.

Sickofthis

Hi, I only had my reversal operation on the 16th August and find Imodium a hit and miss. It works one day not the next. It's not something I take every day. Thankfully, things are slowing down for me. Some days I still need to take it if I'm out and I'm not having a good day.

I was told by my surgeon that I should be drinking plenty of water every day to prevent dehydration. If you are still having a high output, you should be seeing your doctor. They may be able to prescribe something.

kattra

You could try those gel tabs that you put in your appliance. It thickens the stool, I don't know if that would help.

Sickofthis

What are the gel tablets you put in an appliance? I have never heard of them.

Sickofthis

What are the gel tablets you put in an appliance? I have never heard of them.

vollovr

Hi buddy, I've had more than half of my small bowel removed so I have a very high output. My doctor prescribed codeine which I take 15 to 30 minutes before eating. Like one person said, Imodium is not the best as it can constipate, giving you a bloated, uncomfortable feeling and you don't always know how it is going to work or not work. I can always count on the codeine working exactly when I want it to. I have taken it for about 25 years. I take the Tylenol with codeine 30 mg and have had concerns with toxicity to my liver, but I have consulted with 6 gastroenterologists and 3 colorectal surgeons in two states and was told by all of them "not to worry" because I wasn't taking it in high enough doses to be toxic and as far as addiction, no problem. I have a tolerance from taking it for so long that I don't even feel any effect except the slowing down of output, which I'm grateful for not only for traveling but for active times and intimate times. I never had any blockage concerns because the output is so high that some is still coming through.

vollovr

PS Nothing else worked for me, constipating foods, paragoric, immodium, lomotil, etc.

kattra

They dissolve in the bag, making the output from liquid to solid. The only bad thing is that it can make it too solid, then it's harder to empty. They're tiny crystals. You probably could get a sample from one of the suppliers. I ordered them from Convetec, I wouldn't recommend them if you're out.

SN2014

Hi Buddy, I had my large bowel removed in 2013. I turned 34 this summer, the years have flown by. I've never been healthier. I take Imodium nearly every day. I would take up to 8 tablets in 24 hours. I've never had a problem. I also find codeine the best, which I've been taking for over 6 years now.

I hate when I've got a family wedding or something to go to that means I'm out all day and night, then I don't have my own loo to use. That's my big thing, going to the loo in public restrooms.

But it's better than being sick and in the hospital the whole time.

I can't lose the weight around my stomach area though and I'm not even a big eater, I never was.

Do what your doctor tells you as he knows you better than anyone, as we are all different and our bodies are different. What works for you might not work for me.

Good luck on your trip, most of all enjoy it, try to relax. Your body needs this break.

JD90

Before I started irrigating, I used Imodium every day. I would take it a couple of times in the morning and a couple in the early afternoon. I wouldn't take it past 1pm. I actually had a good system going where I would only have output during the morning while getting ready for work. Very seldom in the afternoon and every once in a while in the evening. It was easy then for me to start irrigating because my bowel was already somewhat trained. I still take a couple of Imodium daily just to slow things down and make sure I only pass bowel during irrigation in the mornings.

Good luck and have fun!

annofsd

Everyone is different, but I found taking one loperamide (Imodium) pill with each meal works for me. (I started first with just one a day, and then tried more.) I buy the loperamide on Amazon. I also found that butter and oil cause problems. You can try to avoid foods cooked with a lot of butter or oil, and you can ask for food to be prepared without butter or oil. But that depends on whether you have a problem like that. You can also ask for dressing on the side when ordering salad. Since I found what works for me, I've enjoyed many cruises and visits to foreign countries. I wish you a very enjoyable vacation.

christielou

I use it every day