Prejudice Against Sickness: Healthcare Costs and Insurance Coverage

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Hello all:

From the age of one to one hundred and some, we all encounter sickness. Is there prejudice against sickness? I think not.

In the year 2018, healthcare prices are not pretty. Literally, one could purchase a vehicle for the amount it costs to be insured. Some ask, is there a penalty for not being insured? Personally speaking, my answer would be DEATH. I suppose there is cheap insurance, at least that's what's said. I wonder if they cover existing health issues?

Six months ago, I met a lady by the name of Debbie. She is originally from Vietnam. Debbie has resided in the United States for five years. She shared with me that she had experienced pain in the abdomen, accompanied with bleeding. Debbie was in so much pain, she went to the emergency room. After running many tests, she was informed she had cancer. That one visit cost her $7,000.00. Has she had chemo or radiation? Absolutely not! She has no insurance. She has had cancer for five years with no... treatment. Heck, that's just one person that's not insured in the United States.

Imagine if you didn't have insurance when you had your ileostomy, colostomy, or for that matter, your reversal. Would you still have had the surgery? Can we as people have input in changing the law? Or is it simply about those that can afford healthcare without insurance? Does sickness single out one group of people? Or does it affect all human beings?

In other countries, they have free medical care. Sounds good. I don't know much about their laws. I would venture to say, all things are not perfect.

Thanks for your time.

Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Helo Angelicamarie. You raise some very pertinent points in your post as usual. here in the UK we pay what is called 'National Insurance', which covers the cost of the National Health Service,(NHS)  which is the percieved as 'free' at the point of delivery. Everything seemed to be running fairly smoothly until certain groups in our society felt they were paying too much in taxes and wanted to make the NHS into a private service so that these same people could make a profit from other people's misfortunes. It took two world wars and millions of people dying, to prompt our government to begin looking after everyone, instead of just a priviledged few.  It doesn't take very long for people to forget why this system was introduced in the first place. When there are greedy people who want to accumulate wealth for themselves rather than share their good fortune with others. the principles of welfare innovations of the past get distorted into a financial and social maelstrom of morally inept and corrupt moves to change the system back to the feudal days of subjugation and exploitation of the poor so that the greedy can profit from the misery of others. Until there are laws to curb this tendency to greed and domination, then I fear things will only get worse for those at the lower end of the socio-economic scale. I used to think that revolution was the only way forward. However, As I have grown older,I realise that revolutions tend to replace one set of exploiters with another. What seems to be  needed is a moral and truly democratic revolution, whereby, the whole population decides what is 'fair' and what sort of society they want. Rather than leaving it to the politicians, who are often on the payrol of the rich and powerful, or they aspire to being accepted into those cliques that have as their creed 'the morals of the marketplace'.

Not being a Christian myself,  I could never quite fathom how people who profess to be 'Christian', seem to be quite happy to be actively involved in all those activities that Christ himself was clearly opposed to during his lifetime.

Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Angelicamarie

Bill... in your response, there are so many similarities. So it seems as though people will continue dying. Those that can do a little don't do anything, that is some. Is it greed? Perhaps and power. But that does not help those that need healthcare or those that pay dearly for it. Sadly, some of us can't see the forest for the trees. It seems like there will be no insurance soon! What a mess!!! Thanks for your comments.

Past Member

Well written Bill, I was beginning to think I was

alone in such 'naughty thinkings' of my favourite

word, 'trusts'. I better stop now lol

Hiya Angelicamarie, be well Lady

Steve

scorsby

Hi Bill.

A bit cynical because I believe that there are still sufficient people of high calibre to ensure that the principles of the NHS will remain despite the current government's desire to change to a USA insurance model. Then there would be a revolution and blood on the streets. The NHS is not perfect, but the concept of universal credit and treatment free at the point of need still stands. Angel's note puts the USA system into perfect context and may it never never come near the UK.

John

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill

Hello John. You are so right about me being cynical, especially about politicians. - It comes with years of experience and practice! However, I do hope you are right in your more positivistic outlook on the future of the NHS,  as it would be a shame to lose what has been an equitable system from the outset.

Best wishes

Bill

Puppyluv56

Angel,

I hear you! I was the case manager in a large private oncology practice. My job was to be sure that everyone that came to see any of our 21 physicians would get the same treatment, whether they had insurance or not. Those that were uninsured, we would apply for free chemo drugs. Yes, all the drug companies give their drugs away to those that cannot pay. The patients that were underinsured (high deductibles, out of pocket), those same drug companies have copay cards that pay up to $10,000 a year on their drugs! And then there are many foundations that are funded by either fundraising or drug company contributions. Those awards range from $2,000-$10,000 as well, and most pay for only the chemo drugs but some pay all of the other costs of care as well, including symptom drugs, steroids, and nausea meds, and the facility charges for the time in the chair and doctor visits. These benefits either free drug.

Puppyluv56

Sorry. Had to continue! This is not a very user-friendly program!

These benefits are available to all oncology practices in the states, they just have to participate and have a dedicated person like me to do all of the work for the patients! I actually developed the system and did an educational film for a large pharmaceutical company to show other practices how to do it and even trained some people from other practices to do what I did. A lot of practices are small and would not utilize the programs but I did it because I believe all patients deserved to have the assistance!

Bill

Hello Puppyluv. Thanks for your post. It is so refreshing to hear that there are still people like you around to show the way.

Best wishes

Bill

Angelicamarie

Puppyluv56... thanks for responding! If there were more people like you and others, perhaps it would be better. The numbers of people that help are not greater than those that don't. I like to believe there is hope! Thanks so much for sharing.

Angelicamarie

Puppyluv56

I would certainly hope that the oncology practice that treats any cancer patient would take the initiative to utilize the millions of dollars a year available to assist patients! It is free money and chances are, most patients cannot pay the high cost, so the practice benefits as well! They just have to make the effort! If anyone on the website is in need, please ask your oncologist, social worker, case manager, etc. If all else fails, you can apply for assistance yourself through the drug companies! Go for it. If you have a good income, don't worry, apply anyway. Some programs have no income guidelines, and the ones that do are very generous with the guidelines! There are some diagnoses that are not covered, and the awards open and close depending on funding, so it is never a guarantee but more likely than not, there is something out there for most people in need. Let me know if you need more help! I will be glad to direct you!

Puppyluv

Angelicamarie

Puppyluv56... Your input is appreciated!

Penguins7

Hello, Angelicamarie. I can't imagine not having health insurance. My surgery cost over 100k at the Mayo Clinic. I hope all is well with you. Penguins7

Angelicamarie

Penguins7.. Yes, I have insurance... but so many don't. Mine was costly too. Prior to my colostomy, I had two blockages. If I didn't have insurance, I would have died. Thanks for commenting and your concern.

Angelicamarie

ron in mich

Hi all, we need Medicare for All. Who wouldn't pay a little extra in taxes to be able to not have to deal with insurance companies to be seen by and treated by a doctor? An insurance company shouldn't be able to dictate what medication I can take for my Crohn's disease. All the different programs like VA, Medicaid, and Planned Parenthood could all be rolled into Medicare for All and eliminate some of the bureaucracy.

Angelicamarie

Ron in Mich... Hi, how are you? Sounds good if only that would happen. Thanks for responding!

Angelicamarie