Is the Eaken Seal necessary for a good seal?

Replies
Views
iMacG5

I told the ostomy nurse at Convatec I used an Eaken Seal then the moldable wafer.  She asked why.  I asked why not. She suggested the Eaken Seal was just another step, additional stuff to buy and not necessary to effect a good seal.  I believe and respect all the Convatec folks but don't want to take a short cut that compromises the integrity of the seal.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Bill

Hello Mike. Speaking as someone who has all sorts of stuff which I have made myself. My thoughts are that we should do whatever we feel most comfortable with.  This may not accord with other people's perception of what is 'right' but then, as with most things in life, what is right for one person may not be right for another.

Thanks for inviting my response.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

I have not used any seals with a pouch. I did try one or two samples but found no difference. Not sure which ones I used but have a few so I may try again. I seem to have no problems without them except the barrier always comes up from around my stoma because of backsplash when irrigating but it does not cause any leaks. Probably because I use the Y strips around my flange for extra confidence! Puppyluv

iMacG5

Hi Bill.  Thank you for your response.  I value all your writings and continue to learn from them.

Sincerely,

Mike

iMacG5

Hi Pup.  I know almost nothing about irrigating but I'm sure lots of folks can share with you.  Thanks for your reply.

Respectfully,

Mike

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Mike,

I still use full pouches and all that come with it for now even though I irrigate. We'll have to ask my friend mmsh what he did at first since I have not graduated to the caps!

Have a great day!

Puppyluv

iMacG5

Hey  puppyluv, I think Bill might also be expert in the irrigation protocol.  I'm betting you'll be proficient in no time.  

Wishing you the best,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Mike,

Yes! Bill has it going on! It would be nice to be able to invent whatever we needed! That is so cool! I may get better but never that good. He is the master! Lol

Pup

Bill

Hello Puppyluv. Just to put the record straight - I'm no 'master', but I do like to do a bit of DIY to make life that much more comfortable. What I have found is that I'll make something that I think will do the job, then I have to tweak it over and over to get it to work to my satisfaction. This gives me the preception that many of the appliances we use should be tailor-made to suit the individual rather than producing one-size-fits-all products.  Unfortunately, commerce does not work like this as it would not be financially viable to be making bespoke gadgets to fit individual needs.  I happen to be fortunate in that my doctor and stoma nurses are always very helpful in trying to supply 'odd' things at my request. I do believe they are interested  in what I might come up with next.  My 'shed' is full of gadgets which did not quite work as well as I wanted, which is testiment to the fact that I am an amature  'tryer' rather than a 'master'.

Best wishes

Bill 

Puppyluv56

Hahaha Bill,

To be able to individualize your needs is most certainly a talent most of us do not have! I, unfortunately, am among those that have no clue in that arena! I still hold you Master inventor! Lol

Pup

Hermit

I don't use the Eakon seal anymore! No problems!

dadnabbit

Mike, I use a Sensura Mio drainable one-piece pouch daily applied to clean skin swiped with a Coloplast barrier wipe. That's it. Shower, dry off, swipe skin around stoma with barrier wipe, fan dry, apply pouch. If it's very humid, or I'm gonna be extra active, I use 3M 2" wide cloth tape around the plastic edges of the pouch to help secure it to the skin, but usually, I just bag it and go. I rarely have leakage problems and rarely get raw skin. If I do get a leak resulting in raw skin, I use a wound gel called Anascept by Anaconda Technologies for a few moments after my shower, wipe it off, then swipe skin with barrier wipe, fan dry, place bag and go. But that's just something I keep a tube of on hand if I get a skin irritation. On a daily basis, I use two products, clean pouch and 1 barrier wipe. Keeping the cost reasonable allows me to shower daily and change pouch daily, which insurance usually only allows for 20 bags/month. The difference in using less products allows for me to use more bags, cost-wise.

Peace

iMacG5

Thanks, Honestabe.  You got me a little closer to trying it.

Mike

Mrs.A

Hi Mike,

I agree that what works for some doesn't always mean it works for all. I think since you are the one who feels more confident in what you are doing to keep yourself extra safe, then it's worth your effort.

iMacG5

Hey Dadnabbit, sounds like you've got your stuff well under control.  Always good to hear.  I also appreciate the info on the skin gel; just nice to know something like that is available.

Thanks so much,

Mike

iMacG5

Thanks, Mrs.A for the affirmation.  It's always good to know there are other options just in case.

Respectfully,

Mike

Homie With A Stomie NS

My personal choice is to always wear a moldable barrier ring as added protection, especially if you hand cut the wafer stoma hole.... Since adding the ring, I get 7 days before a bag change and no compromised skin around the stoma or wafer area.... I use Coloplast products but testing Hollister product for 2 days now......

It may be an added step, but if it is what makes you comfortable and able to go about your daily life with ease and peace of mind, then do you.... Always easy for them to say and make recommendations if they don't have a stoma. They are of the mentality that 1 is all the same..... Fortunately, my amazing ostomy nurse has a stoma herself and has had it for years. Her advice and suggestions are priceless.....

Keep doing you, stay safe, smile on.

Tracy

iMacG5

Hi Tracy.  Seems like you're in a good place.  Keep it going and make it even better.

Mike