Safe Exercises for Colostomy: Seeking Suggestions?

Replies
Views
Ophelia1221

I do yoga and light weights. Recently, I have been belly dancing and walking.

I would like to add some things that won't cause issues with my colostomy.

xnine

Sexercise.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,378 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Building a fence is a pretty good exercise. If you don't have a place to go, I can hook you up! Ha ha

TheCollector

I decided a couple of years ago that Crohn's and an ileostomy will not break my spirit, my drive, or change who I am and how I think about myself. After about 5 years of surgeries, doctor visits, pain, tears, and self-pity, I slowly pushed myself a little harder every day until I was my old self and outworking guys half (or less) as old as me! So I guess my reply is "Hard Work," and yes Ophelia, I am interested. We should talk.

Pepe

I do all kinds of weights, running on the treadmill. I used to do karate, but I quit a few years ago because it's a little difficult to try and fly around in the air. LOL

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Newbie Dana

Bicycling! During the summer, I worked up to 5 miles every day, plus longer rides (10-15 miles) on weekends. Lots of bike trails here in Lexington, and lots of neighborhood streets great for biking. Lots of areas of the city to explore.

In the winter, we set up a spare bike onto a trainer indoors so we can continue to ride in cold weather (but it's a lot more boring than riding in a neighborhood!).

Also modified Seven exercises. (You can find the original Seven app in the app store.) I say modified, because it does a lot of core exercises that are hell on a peristomal hernia. For everything like push-ups that center on the core, I do them against the wall instead - transfers the force to your arms instead of your abdomen. For the step-up-onto chair, I had to start with step-up-onto-stool, but I kept at it until I could do 10 step-up-onto chair in 30 seconds (except this week I'm back to the stool because the neuropathy in my feet is acting up and my balance is unreliable for a chair and it's too dangerous).

sunasea

I do every exercise, don't let your ostomy stop you from living.

Past Member

I love to do weightlifting. Also, aerobic exercises such as running, swimming, or dancing are activities that work your cardiovascular system — they get your heart rate up and make you breathe harder.