Cheaper alternatives for adhesive wipes? Insurance coverage change?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses cost-effective alternatives to adhesive wipes and how insurance coverage changes may impact ostomy care.
Gemd

My insurance no longer covers adhesive removal wipes and they are $36 a pack, lasting about a month. I'm able to afford it but also looking for cheaper alternatives. Also, why would insurance no longer cover them? If the adhesive stays on, it can cause leaks and rashes and stuff.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

https://www.medicalmega.com/product/allkare-adhesive-remover-100

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Gemd

Thank you, a much better price!

MagicFlute14

Yesterday I found Express Medical Supply, Inc. I called my pharmacy for the price of the no-sting adhesive universal remover, they said it was $50 for a 50-wipe box. I ended up buying them at Express Medical Supply and paid $11 for the same box of 50 wipes.

Bill

Hello Gemd. I much prefer the adhesive remover spray to the wipes. I find that the spray will seep into the adhesive and allow the flange to be removed without much pulling of the skin. I can then remove any leftovers with a drywipe and more spray. I don't know if the sprays are any cheaper but it might be worth looking into. Best wishes 

Bill 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Longroad78

http://micro-scientific.com/goo-gone-topical/

Large 16oz. bottle $15.99 that is sold on Amazon Prime, just use q-tips to apply and works great. Clean area off with wet towel to remove residue before putting on skin prep.

My health insurance does not cover it either. Do not know why.

Penguins7

I use the Hollister spray adhesive remover (Adapt 7731). It comes in a 2.7 oz can (so okay to take on an airplane) and lasts me 2-3 months. I change my appliance daily.

It works a lot better than wipes. Spray on the wafer and it just peels off. Good luck. Penguins7

Gemd

I will try the spray, good price! As 30 wipes is 17 but I use at least 2 wipes per bag change so it's a less-than-2 month supply.