Odor Control for a Colostomy

Replies
Views
crossley8

I have had my colostomy for 10 months. For most of that time, things have been okay. But recently, I have noticed a slight odor most of the time. It seems to happen especially when the poop is hung up around my stoma. Do any others have this problem, and is anyone aware of products on the market that can help with this? Many thanks.

Puppyluv56

I have always had issues with the odor. I think I have tried most everything! I use the Brava lubricant and deodorizer, but it does not do a whole lot except it does allow the output to slide to the bottom of the pouch. I have tried mouthwash on a piece of TP put inside the bag, I just got in the mail from Amazon a bottle of Smelleze. It is a granular additive that soaks up the liquid in your pouch and really helps with the odor. My issues with it are that it makes your pouch fat. The stuff really makes the output thicker, but it is harder to empty. When I did empty, I think I poked a tiny hole in the pouch, the grains do not all dissolve, and you don't know until you suddenly smell something horrible and yes, it is usually in a public place! Lol I plan to continue using it but will be more careful. I don't think the filters work very well and certainly not once they get covered with poop or products you use! Everyone seems to have their own solution, I have found some better than others but still looking for the perfect product!

Puppyluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

crossley8

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it.

Puppyluv56

You are welcome and I may also try the M8. The hospital gave me some that was a spray but only for the air. Apparently there are drops that are good. Another brand too but cannot remember what another member wrote was the name.

Please share any success that you have!

Puppyluv

Puppyluv56

That may be M9! LOL

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister