Poo-Pourri for Ostomy Pouch Odor?

Replies
Views
ellkay

Has anyone tried the Poo-Pourri to spray inside your ostomy pouch? I have tried just about every deodorizer there is for ostomy bags, but still, there's an odor. The one that actually works best (but still not 100%) is the spray that I use outside the bag. I use a two-piece closed end pouch, and the material is more like a "mesh" rather than the smooth, "plastic" type. While I much prefer the two-piece (disposable... NO draining! :)), I can still detect an odor. There is no leak whatsoever. I noticed this problem even when using the one piece. Anyway, I did some research and came across Poo-Pourri, and how well it eliminates odor instantly when put inside a toilet. I was wondering if anyone has used it to spray inside a pouch, and if it is safe? I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks!
Lynn

Poobag17

I have a bottle of that stuff at home, but I've never used it!!! I'll give it a go and conduct some research and get back to you. Failing that, remember, everyone's poop stinks. I know for some reason ours is a bit worse and it doesn't help that I bet most of you are like me with a paranoid hypersense of smell! Or maybe that's just me. Anyways, standby for an update on my poor pouri studies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,379 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I have used it and really like it better than the prescription brands. It is not recommended for use inside of your appliance. It really cuts down on the odor. I have used just a drop in my pouch with good results.

NJ Bain

Ellkay,

If it's not safe to swallow, it's not safe to expose your stoma to it. Do you by chance take fish oil pills? I noticed when I was taking them, the metallic fishy smell would permeate the pouch. I now do a chewable version that's also a multivitamin. Just my 2 cents.

Bain

Puppyluv56

I make my own Poo-pourri. I buy the oils from Walmart and mix them with rubbing alcohol. The oil costs just over $5 for a bottle and I only use 8-10 drops in a small spray bottle that fits in my purse. You can mix it with water, which would be better for in the pouch, but I have never tried it in my pouch, just outside. I like the Lemongrass and Cinnamon scents the best! They seem to be the strongest scents and cover the smell a little better.

Puppyluv

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Poobag17

Ok, my unscientific scientific research is complete. So I'm going to speak in plain tongue here to be clear and avoid confusion, so forgive me, it's a little descriptive. Mind you, on a site like this, I feel like it would be tough to put someone off.

So...short answer, doesn't work. I have had a bottle of a Poo Pourri Trap a Crap for a few years and never used it. So I tried it in a few different ways.

Firstly, I tried it as recommended on the bottle for everyone, poobag or not. Sprayed 5 sprays in the can before I emptied. Smells nice. The spray, that is. Add in the poop, and it beats down some of the odor, but more or less smells like the spray with some poop. Not a fix in that regard.

So I also tried some in the bag itself, sprayed 4 sprays inside the pouch from the bottom end of the drain so it didn't really 'coat' the whole bag so to speak, but either way it did even less, this time it just smelled like your poop, and at the end a faint waft of the spray.

So there you have it, hopefully that was the right amount of helpful.

All the best.

NJ Bain

It goes along the lines of, "I sprayed fruit-scented air freshener in my bathroom after emptying my pouch. Now my bathroom smells like shitrus."

Ink_Heart

Hi there! Yes, I've tried it and it works. Along with lavender oil drops outside the bag, and I will sometimes stick a dryer sheet on each side of the bag under my belt.

Ink_Heart

Lol, my laugh of the day

Snookis Mum

I use "Just A Drop". I use two drops of that in my pouch, together with a squirt of my Ostofresh deodorant, and it is incredible. There is almost no odor at all. You can get Just A Drop on Amazon. I highly recommend it. And it lasts for ages, because you are literally using just a couple of drops each time.

fordf65

I use the M9 (7717) by Hollister. It works for me.

funnygurl

I have used those dissolvable mouthwash gel sheets with success. They are clear squares and dissolve when in contact with liquid.

vollovr

There is absolutely positively NOTHING that works completely and totally except Hollister M-9 deodorant drops. I tried many and was disappointed until I found M-9. After emptying pouch, put 4 drops of this stuff and it totally eliminates any trace of odor. I LOVE the stuff and can't live without it. Such security knowing there is never any odor whatsoever. Try it, you'll love it.

vollovr

There is absolutely positively NOTHING that works completely and totally except Hollister M-9 deodorant drops. I tried many and was disappointed until I found M-9. After emptying pouch, put 4 drops of this stuff and it totally eliminates any trace of odor. I LOVE the stuff and can't live without it. Such security knowing there is never any odor whatsoever. Try it, you'll love it.

paulaAZ

I actually use Altoids in my pouch. Some people in our support group prefer Tic Tacs but I use Altoids. I empty at work and have never had an issue with odor when I empty my pouch. I put about 3-4 in the pouch in the mornings after emptying from overnight and when I empty again I sometimes add some, sometimes not. It works perfectly for me.

paulaAZ

Oh, as far as Poo Pourri ... I have used that in the past also and still do if I am traveling and it is best when sprayed directly on the water in the toilet before emptying your pouch. That is how it is designed to be used. Works great for me.

Past Member

Try using Listerine, it works great.

New Orleans guy

Try Na Scent...better than M-9. A couple drops in the bag. Or a little more when eating fish.

Past Member

Elkay, I just threw my bags away. Tried to wash and rinse and deodorize, but new is best. I'm in Calimesa, Cal. Chat anytime. Regards, Peter Daniels

Puppyluv56

I don't think anything really works!

Baking soda clumps as does all the other sprinkle type deodorant sprinkles. The M-9 and all the other liquids are not effective. Mouthwash, tic tacs, barely work. I even made my own poo-pourri using alcohol and scented oils. Cinnamon and lemon. Very inexpensive and great for the air and toilet but have not used in the pouch. You should never use anything that you would not ingest. I know the poo-pourri bottles have warning about spraying on your skin. If you find the secret to odor elimination, please share!

Puppyluv

Past Member

Keep on trying—I guess.

BeachRN

How do you put Listerine in the bag? I'm a nurse, I suppose you could use a syringe...just wondering. I usually shower, wash my colostomy stoma well with Head and Shoulders Shampoo, dry and replace the bag. I just can't tolerate any smells. I will try the Listerine idea. Thank you. This is a great forum. Best, Beach RN